QB64 Phoenix Edition

Full Version: Ballot Stuffing? For shame!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
That sure is a cool banner. Hey, did you know that two of the guys (Arbies and JamesIsora) who voted for the banners have made zero posts, accounts were created two years ago, and haven't spent more than 4 minutes online between the two of them?

Oh. And both those guys have the same last known IP address.

Wild.

What's that all about, Steve?
No idea.  I don't keep up with everyone on our member lists.  If I had to guess, I'd say those sound like ARB accounts from ages ago.  Before he quit, he created a half dozen "JamesSomething" account names, to troll the forum.  Can't imagine why he'd vote for me, however.
The two accounts that stuffed ballots were banned.  The banner is now back to our old, default one.

If somebody is going to take the effort to stuff ballots and cheat over something as mundane as a banner contest, we simply won't have a banner contest.  It was fun while it lasted, but I'm just not going to deal with the hassle over it.

Pete and Grymm have admin rights to the forums.  If they want to redo the votes and see which banner might come out as the winner, and then set it for us, that's on them.  I'm not going to bother with it anymore.  If folks can't just have FUN, without the drama, then you guys can count me out.  It's just not worth the effort involved.  *THIS* particular admin is washing his hands of the whole thing.
How very lame on the ballot stuffers part. While I like your banner, Steve, and a couple others, I think you're right to drop the contest - even though that's kinda giving in to the forces of... stupidity. Onward and upward.
another solution is to have transparent voting.

as a regular participant to the banner contest, got to say current situation sucks. the contest made this forum unique and i thought great tradition.

so i hope @pete or @grymmjack look into problem.

in interest of transparency, i voted for statics because even though a repeat of last year it wasn't the worst of the bunch, pete was way ahead when i voted so my vote went towards not having a worst submission.

btw thankyou to those 5 that voted for my banner, i regret not putting more an effort into getting the letters to show better, i thought it an excellent idea and only last minute started work on gif, well maybe next time if there is one...
Y'all crack me up.
Oh for goodness sake, put the winning banner back up. I like it. Lots of color.
+1 yeah
(04-08-2024, 04:52 PM)bplus Wrote: [ -> ]another solution is to have transparent voting.

as a regular participant to the banner contest, got to say current situation sucks. the contest made this forum unique and i thought great tradition.

so i hope @pete or @grymmjack look into problem.

in interest of transparency, i voted for statics because even though a repeat of last year it wasn't the worst of the bunch, pete was way ahead when i voted so my vote went towards not having a worst submission.

btw thankyou to those 5 that voted for my banner, i regret not putting more an effort into getting the letters to show better, i thought it an excellent idea and only last minute started work on gif, well maybe next time if there is one...
It *is* transparent voting.  All you have to do is vote, then click the "Show votes" link which is right below the bottom of the poll itself.  (right corner, bottom of poll)

Why someone would wantt to go through the trouble to stuff ballots is beyond me.  I thought we were having a nice little fun break from coding, with something rather trivial just to change up the pace for a week or so, every three months.   Never thought some idiots would decide to just make it a point of drama on the forums.  

People be crazy, and I be lazy.  I'm too busy with other junk this time of year to try and sort it all out or worry over it.  (Ever since I had my gallbladder out last fall, I've felt like a new man!  That damn thing was killing me, apparently.  For the first time in several years, I've decided to get back out and play farmer once again, and I've got a LOT of work to do clearing fields, fertilizing, liming, tilling, blah, blah, blah, before I can even start planting stuff in the ground again in a few weeks.)

Steve is Amazing, but even he only has 27.5 hours in a day to get everything done, and sorting out forum ballet stuffing just doesn't make the cut!  Wink

Funniest thing is, I don't *think* one would even have to log in an old account to vote.  These aren't national security level polls.  Even guests tend to have the right to vote (I think), so all one should need to do is simply use a VPN to change their IP address, log out, and then vote as many times as they want to keep swapping to a different VPN server -- as "a guest".
I don't know if it is all that dire. It isn't like we have Dominion voting systems. It's just a forum banner vote. It's just weird that there were fake votes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4