QB64 Phoenix Edition
just a quick hello - Printable Version

+- QB64 Phoenix Edition (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chatting and Socializing (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: just a quick hello (/showthread.php?tid=229)

Pages: 1 2

just a quick hello - Coolman - 04-27-2022

hello. glad to have been able to register in your new forum. i could never do it in the old one. it's fast and the visibility is better. for a few days, i thought qb64 was going to disappear. it's good that there is a new community. i see that there is a lot of activity even though the forum is very recent. it's good sign...

RE: just a quick hello - bplus - 04-27-2022

Wow! I wondered if old forum was making it too difficult to join.

Welcome @Coolman! gald you can finally join us Smile

RE: just a quick hello - Coolman - 04-27-2022

(04-27-2022, 02:44 PM)bplus Wrote: Wow! I wondered if old forum was making it too difficult to join.

Welcome @Coolman! gald you can finally join us Smile

thank you for the welcome

@Coolman

I am curious of your Basic background.

My first exposure was in college in early - mid 70's with Unix Basic but my real love started with GW Basic in 89 with an 8088 PC clone faux Windows grew to QB4.5 on an 486... 91 or 92

It'd Be great way to introduce yourself.

RE: just a quick hello - Pete - 04-27-2022

(04-27-2022, 02:22 PM)Coolman Wrote: hello. glad to have been able to register in your new forum. i could never do it in the old one. it's fast and the visibility is better. for a few days, i thought qb64 was going to disappear. it's good that there is a new community. i see that there is a lot of activity even though the forum is very recent. it's good sign...

That's cool, man!

RE: just a quick hello - CharlieJV - 04-27-2022

(04-27-2022, 02:22 PM)Coolman Wrote: hello. glad to have been able to register in your new forum. i could never do it in the old one. it's fast and the visibility is better. for a few days, i thought qb64 was going to disappear. it's good that there is a new community. i see that there is a lot of activity even though the forum is very recent. it's good sign...

Huh, who would have known the fizzy swamp sludge who killed the old forum/site/wiki was doing us a favor ?

Welcome to QB64hood !

(04-27-2022, 03:29 PM)bplus Wrote: @Coolman

I am curious of your Basic background.

My first exposure was in college in early - mid 70's with Unix Basic but my real love started with GW Basic in 89 with an 8088 PC clone faux Windows grew to QB4.5 on an 486... 91 or 92

It'd Be great way to introduce yourself.

it's a long story. you asked for it. i started on amstrad cpc, atari st (gfa basic). then under dos i used intensively the quickbasic interpreter. i bought the quickbasic compiler and turbo basic. i did some c with quickc but i have to admit that i don't like the syntax of this language. all this as an amateur. i used professionally windev for management programs for years. now i'm retired. programming is just a hobby for my personal use. i currently use freebasic freepascal for command line programs and lazarus python3 (with tkinter) for GUI programs. i gave up windows about 2.5 years ago. i use linux. i've clearly never seen such a stable system. i like the opensource philosophy. i don't really use qb64. i have the 1.5 and 2.01 versions isolated with firejail. i test on it some source codes found in forums. some of them are impressive. actually, i got qb64 phoenix edition. i compiled it under linux and isolated it with firejail to make a comparison. with firejail i can run all versions at the same time without any problem. so far qb64pe has compiled all the source code without any error. strangely qb64 2.01 does not compile the source code of qb64pe. i'm also interested in different basic interpreters. i'm thinking of using them for scripting under linux. i've always found quickbasic under dos excellent because it allowed me to prototype program very quickly...

to all the others. thanks again for the welcome.

Thanks, @Coolman Now I am starting to know a person. I just started on Linux myself past week, frustrating as heck not able to do what I can on Windows, at least not without a whole lot more Linux knowledge.

Hey you might like Basic4All Forum, still under 20 members:
http://basic4all.epizy.com/index.php

RE: just a quick hello - Pete - 04-27-2022

From one old-timer, same era, to another... That's cool, man!

Pete

PS: My second "computer" was an Atari. Before that, try a TI4-A with a tape cassette drive, with a Whopping 4K memory. I really learned how to optimize code back then. Managed to get a fully functioning 4-player Monopoly game with board in text characters on that thing.

it was another time. i didn't find this pleasure i had while using intensively the amstrad cpc and the atari st but strangely it's starting to come back with linux. i have the time to test many programs with their source codes. the creativity of some programmers is impressive. for example the emulators of old game consoles or computers...

I'm starting to regret having sold the amstrad cpc and the atari st but it had allowed me to buy a pc.