QB64 Phoenix Edition
Options menu Compiler Settings - Printable Version

+- QB64 Phoenix Edition (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chatting and Socializing (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Options menu Compiler Settings (/showthread.php?tid=2657)

Options menu Compiler Settings - TerryRitchie - 05-04-2024

I'm currently finishing up a rather large side lesson in the tutorial on getting the most from the QB64 IDE.

Would someone like to explain to me the various compiler settings options found in the options menu?

I have a general idea of what they are used for but I would appreciate if a developer could chime and and give a detailed description of each option and how using that option would be beneficial along with a use case scenario.

I want to make sure that the information in the tutorial is accurate.

RE: Options menu Compiler Settings - SMcNeill - 05-04-2024

I'll leave this one for one of out other devs to chime in on.  There's all of about 8 bazillion flags and options that can be applied to the compiler in this case, I tend to personally use all of about maybe 3 of them.  Somebody else, more proficient in c and the compiler than me, should probably field this question.  Big Grin

Remember:  Steve is Amazing!  So AMAZING, in fact, that he knows when to step back and bow out gracefully to let others take the limelight.  (Or do all the real work!)

RE: Options menu Compiler Settings - Kernelpanic - 05-04-2024

Have a look here:

CPP/C++ Compiler Flags and Options

A summary of all the options, grouped by type

RE: Options menu Compiler Settings - TerryRitchie - 05-04-2024

Oh, I'm not looking for every single flag that can be used. Just an explanation how the various flags can be used through options (with maybe three of the most used as use case scenarios). Mainly looking for why these options exist and how best, and when appropriate, to use them.

RE: Options menu Compiler Settings - DSMan195276 - 05-06-2024

It's very much a non-answer, but I'd say if you don't already know what the settings do then you probably shouldn't be touching them Big Grin They're not intended for typical users, rather for someone who already knows what they're trying to do and just needs a somewhat easy way to set their settings.

That said, some general descriptions:

> Compile program with C++ optimization flag

This applies the C++ `-O2` optimization level to your compile code (and QB64 runtime). This will result in faster code (a lot faster), but significantly slower compilation times and much higher memory usage during compilation. There's also some remaining questions around stability, though I'd say at this point we run all our testing with `-O2` and don't notice any issues.

Ideally at some point this flag becomes unnecessary because we will apply `-O2` by default, but we don't do it currently due to the slow down and memory usage I noted. We have been refactoring the runtime though and the refactored parts get -O2 applied even without setting this flag.

> Strip C++ symbols from executable

This reduces executable size at the cost of debugging ability. This is not related to `$Debug` functionality, but debugging your program using a debugger like `gdb`, if you strip the symbols then the debugger can't show you function or variable names.

Note that on Windows and Linux, if you set this setting then the removed symbols (and debug information, if checked) are stored in a separate `.sym` file in `./internal/temp`. It's possible to load this file into a debugger like `gdb` to gain back symbols and debug information even if they were stripped from the executable.

> Add C++ Debug Information

Also related to using a debugger like `gdb`, this adds 'extra' information beyond just the symbol names to your executable. This increases the executable size, but the debugger will be able to show you even more information about the running your code (Ex. step through the C++ source, display local variables, etc.).

> C++ Compiler Flags
> C++ Linker Flags

These allow you to directly add extra flags during compilation of the generated C++ for your program. This requires a lot of knowledge to use because not all flags are valid for our code, and also any settings here are completely untested. You could however use this to apply extra optimization flags if you think they're relevant, or maybe specify extra include file paths (though I'm not sure how that works out with `Declare Library`, but regardless), or set some global `#define` flags. There's also some executable settings like stack size that you can control.

If you're setting anything in these boxes then you're on completely your own, there's no guarantee that whatever you're doing will continue to work in the future.

> Max C++ Compiler Processes

This one is probably the most relevant. The compilation of the C++ code for your program (mostly the runtime) is done in parallel by spawning multiple C++ compilers at a time. This setting controls how many of those compilers are allowed to run at one time. There are limits to how far you can take this because your actual compiled QB64 code is all in one `.cpp` file and thus cannot be compiled in parallel, but generally speaking a higher number here means faster compilation but also higher CPU and memory usage during compilation. The default of 3 is somewhat conservative, but generally speaking after the first compilation (where many of the separate runtime `.cpp` files will get compiled) numbers higher than 3 really won't do anything anyway.

RE: Options menu Compiler Settings - TerryRitchie - 05-06-2024

Thank you for the information. The only option I use in here myself is the optimization flag. Like you said, not for typical users, I get that.

This section in the IDE lesson will explain that but I also wanted to give the reader some idea of what each option does.