QB64 Phoenix Edition
Tutorial - Printable Version

+- QB64 Phoenix Edition (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: QB64 Rising (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Code and Stuff (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Help Me! (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Tutorial (/showthread.php?tid=59)

Tutorial - johnno56 - 04-19-2022

... and yes. Before you ask, I have read and worked my way through Terry's tutorials... but my request is specific. I am looking for a tutorial to create a non-scrolling, multi-level, old fashioned platformer. You remember? Coins; Enemies; Lava; Jump-pads; cheesy sound effects... You 'do' remember, right? Aw, man... Is my age slipping again?  I like 'old school'... lol

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

J

RE: Tutorial - Pete - 04-19-2022

(04-19-2022, 09:45 PM)johnno56 Wrote: ... and yes. Before you ask, I have read and worked my way through Terry's tutorials... but my request is specific. I am looking for a tutorial to create a non-scrolling, multi-level, old fashioned platformer. You remember? Coins; Enemies; Lava; Jump-pads; cheesy sound effects... You 'do' remember, right? Aw, man... Is my age slipping again?  I like 'old school'... lol

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

J

Old school graphics would be TheBOB Tutorials. I have those. They are really great, but I don't use them because not one of them works in SCREEN 0!

Did you see his KONG2.BAS game? https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=55

Pete

RE: Tutorial - johnno56 - 04-19-2022

Thanks Pete... and yes I 'did' see Kong. One of the first this I read this morning. I have already downloaded, but as yet, have not played it. It is on my very short 'to do' list... I like the 'new' look...

I have heard the name 'TheBob' from a long time ago... Must have been during my 'Windows' phase (pre-2005). Possibly even earlier than that... But my memory isn't what it used to be... Thanks George.

RE: Tutorial - Pete - 04-19-2022

(04-19-2022, 10:21 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Thanks Pete... and yes I 'did' see Kong. One of the first this I read this morning. I have already downloaded, but as yet, have not played it. It is on my very short 'to do' list... I like the 'new' look...

I have heard the name 'TheBob' from a long time ago... Must have been during my 'Windows' phase (pre-2005).  Possibly even earlier than that... But my memory isn't what it used to be... Thanks George.

Welcome, Fred.

RE: Tutorial - PhilOfPerth - 04-24-2022

I think if you want to attract (and keep) new blood on this Forum, you  need to give more ready access to tutorials- they should have a prominent spot on the main entry window. 
Being something of a novice myself (what are "libraries"?), I would welcome a couple of tuts on how to make a page presentable. If you look at some of my programmes  programs you'll know what I mean.
There are lots of us who can write programs that do something, but they're often very vanilla. An intro to QB64 jargon would also  be good for newer members.
Both of those have probably been covered elsewhere, but they are difficult to find, so new visitors tend to drift away. Shy

RE: Tutorial - johnno56 - 04-24-2022

PhilOfPerth (WA?)

My first best choice for tutorials is Terry Ritchies' tutorials at https://qb64sourcecode.com/.
They cover the basics (no pun intended) but are very clear in explaining all the examples. When it comes to QB64, I too, would be considered a novice. As far as having an available collection of tutorials, to me anyway, is a great idea. My problem is coming up with new ideas and not knowing how to convert those ideas to code.

Presentation is important. A 'splash' or introduction screen; Main menu(s); Background images; Sprite creation and manipulation; Music and sound... and the list could go on... Having skills to manage or create all these assets would be a great collection of tools for the 'new' and the 'pro' alike....

Maybe if we ask Steve to consider a forum for novices (and perhaps intermediate and advanced?)... assuming he is not too busy of course... lol

J ( of Vic)

RE: Tutorial - Pete - 04-24-2022

(04-24-2022, 03:07 AM)PhilOfPerth Wrote: I think if you want to attract (and keep) new blood on this Forum, you  need to give more ready access to tutorials- they should have a prominent spot on the main entry window. 
Being something of a novice myself (what are "libraries"?), I would welcome a couple of tuts on how to make a page presentable. If you look at some of my programmes  programs you'll know what I mean.
There are lots of us who can write programs that do something, but they're often very vanilla. An intro to QB64 jargon would also  be good for newer members.
Both of those have probably been covered elsewhere, but they are difficult to find, so new visitors tend to drift away. Shy

I hope to have a collection of QBasic graphics tutorials by TheBOB, up shortly. Tonight I just finished the last of 33 program conversions to qb64. As a former commercial graphics artist, that guy really knew his stuff.

In consideration of new comers, yeah, I get it. One thing I always point beginners to is the Wiki, and I hope I had for the structure, eventually, is that it would evolve more examples that would be labeled as...

Beginner:

Intermediate:

Advanced:

Maybe even dividing up wiki sections into Text and Graphics examples, for how certain keywords apply.

Of course my favorite way of learning was to experiment with code I read out of a book, in the days before internet, or reverse engineer something I discovered online after forums came into being. I never used any tutorials, and God willing, one day I will figure out how to add that darn exclamation point at the end of my nearly finished "Hello World" program.

Good topic discussion,

Pete

RE: Tutorial - johnno56 - 04-24-2022

Thanks Pete,

Appreciate anything you can do to improve our skills with QB64...

J