QB64 Phoenix Edition
Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - Printable Version

+- QB64 Phoenix Edition (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chatting and Socializing (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal (/showthread.php?tid=985)

Pages: 1 2 3

Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - hanness - 10-19-2022

As of today, with Windows 11 22H2 October 18th Moment 1 Update, Windows Terminal is now the default command line experience.

In view of this, are there any plans to update QB64PE to better support Windows Terminal for apps that output to the console.

I brought up this question probably about two years ago since we knew back then already that this day was coming, and now it's here.

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - DSMan195276 - 10-19-2022

Do we have an idea of what, if anything, doesn't work? That would be the first step. Certainly we can look into it, I don't actually have windows terminal to try it out xD

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - Pete - 10-19-2022

Anxiously awaiting the day Bill Gates becomes "terminal" too.

@hanness Have you tried some of the usual SHELL calls with QB64 to see how they run? I mean they should work just fine, but if anyone was relying on the output like SHELL dir, they might be in for some work re-tooling their parsing functions. That was true when Windows switched from command /c to cmd /c from Win 98 to Win XP. Anyway it looks like Windows created a better command prompt "experience" but it still makes me laugh how much of this reverts back to that guy who developed DOS. First they built Windows under it and then over it, and now they are digging it up and revitalizing it. DOS is boss.

Pete

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - bert22306 - 10-19-2022

Hey guys, I don't think Windows Terminal is any kind of replacement for the other command line options. It looks to me like all it is is a way to have a bunch of the other command line options open at the same time, in a single environment.

Check this out:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/terminal/

"Windows Terminal is a modern host application for the command-line shells you already love, like Command Prompt, PowerShell, and bash (via Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)). Its main features include multiple tabs, panes, Unicode and UTF-8 character support, a GPU accelerated text rendering engine, and the ability to create your own themes and customize text, colors, backgrounds, and shortcuts."

Watch the video in there. I don't get the impression that this replaces PowerShell, Command Prompt, or any of the others.

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - Pete - 10-19-2022

That's the same impression I got, too. The real question is, did the fiddle with the command prompt output again?

Pete

- It looks like your trying to get out of the 9th Circle of Hell... Let me help!

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - mnrvovrfc - 10-19-2022

(10-19-2022, 12:35 AM)hanness Wrote: As of today, with Windows 11 22H2 October 18th Moment 1 Update, Windows Terminal is now the default command line experience.

In view of this, are there any plans to update QB64PE to better support Windows Terminal for apps that output to the console.

I brought up this question probably about two years ago since we knew back then already that this day was coming, and now it's here.
Yay, Powershell was bad enough, I couldn't use it at all!

R.I.P. "cmd.exe". Now I hold a vigil for it for... one second.

M$ attempt to cause more confusion with how things are named.

I almost forgot to ask: is this "Windows Terminal" any better than Unix/Linux terminal allowing commands longer than 255 characters?

Better check if the Win32 API console functions work without even more hassles with the programming tools.

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - SpriggsySpriggs - 10-19-2022

To my knowledge, Terminal is not the default command prompt in Windows 11 22H2. You have to change that setting manually. Also, with Console Only apps, you cannot completely hide the Terminal window. You can only minimize it with Console Off. Only CMD works as desired. That being said, the customization you can have in Terminal is phenomenal. Endless options to make it exactly how you want. That, and glyph fonts. Which may or may not mean that we can use glyphs in QB64. Not sure how glyphs are created just yet but I've thought about looking them up.

Well @Spriggsy , first you start with a guy glyph and lady glyph and then...

Curious, when QB64 does a SHELL "DIR /p" Does the output format look the same in Windows Terminal as it did in the old cmd.exe console?

Pete

- I'd rather be curious than furious, wait...

RE: Default Command Line Experience in Windows is Now Windows Terminal - SpriggsySpriggs - 10-19-2022

(10-19-2022, 05:44 PM)Pete Wrote: Well @Spriggsy , first you start with a guy glyph and lady glyph and then...

Curious, when QB64 does a SHELL "DIR /p" Does the output format look the same in Windows Terminal as it did in the old cmd.exe console?

Pete

- I'd rather be curious than furious, wait...

Terminal is just an app to consolidate all your shell applications and run them in one spot. The output will look the same unless you customize your fonts and such. You're still using CMD or PowerShell or whatever else you used. It's just hosted in that app rather than their own separate windows.

That's good news. As long as they didn't change the format of cmd.exe the parsing of the output won't need to be adjusted in older QB64 SHELL call programs. I had to make modifications to a fair amount of programs when command /c changed to cmd /c. Why they changed the console output format columns was a real unanswered puzzle. I'm in no hurry to get a Win 11. although I bought one for my wife, recently. I am concerned about questions on the forum where we would have to address OS differences.

Thanks,

Pete