Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened?
So, obviously something major has happened to qb64.org. And I just started to use qb64--and very happily. My question is, what did happen? I am completely out of the loop.
Basically, Fellippe decided back a couple of months ago to bring a new guy -- RC Cola -- into the project to work as a CEO managing it. About a week back, Fellippe just walked away from the project and decided he needed a life change for his mental health. Several members of the Discord channel started asking RC Cola about the future, about his plans for QB64 -- about what he even considered QB64 to *be*... He refused to answer any questions and ended up banning and silencing many different people in the channel. Needless to say, such heavy handedness isn't a good way for a new boss to make his user base very happy.

More complaints rose up. RC got even more insane... The breaking point for me, personally, was when I posted a link to a music lyric site for: https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/4243671/Heil/Running+Two.

Now, keep in mind, I posted this link in a channel that was labeled "Off-Topic", and that had been tagged as "NSFW" and was for people 18+ to use to talk and chat about things over...

And the response I got from him??

I got called a neo-nazi and threated with being banned like everyone else, for my nazi propaganda!

WTH???

Quote:Reinhold Heil (born 1954) is a German-born film and television composer based in Los Angeles. He is known for his frequent collaborations with Australian composer Johnny Klimek and director Tom Tykwer on films such as Run Lola Run and Cloud Atlas.

This artists name is "Heil". It's not some white trash nazi supporting scream out to "Heil Hitler". IT'S HIS FRIGGING NAME, AND THE NAME OF HIS BAND!!

/Gah!!

So, I gave Mr RC Asshole a piece of my mind over his whole attitude. Told him to piss off, and in a huff, I went to bed not too long after that...

...to wake up the next morning to find that Luke (one of the other developers) had passed me control of the Discord channel overnight, and then joined Fellippe in simply walking away from all the drama and stuff.

Apparently, RC Asshat found out about the transfer of ownership with the Discord a little after that, and then he decided to burn everything down. Kicked everyone from the wiki. Kicked everyone from the repo team (I assume -- at least I know I was kicked from there.). Then he shut down the forums. Got rid of the wiki... Changed the password on the QB64 Team Twitter account... Got rid of the QB64 YouTube channel...

The asshat basically decided if he couldn't have complete control over everything and play dictator, then he was just going to burn it all down to the ground!

BUT...

Like a Phoenix, we will rise again from the ashes! QB64 is an open-source project, licensed under a MIT license. He may have "owned" the old forums and such, but he doesn't "own" QB64. We've already got a new set of forums up and running here -- I'm glad you managed to find us -- and there's already a couple of saved copied of the wiki available on the web for read-only purposes, and we're working on rebuilding a new one so we can keep it updated and relevant once we start moving the language forward once again in the future.

And, that's basically, what happened and where we currently are. Wink
Wow. That is amazing stuff. Thank you very much for the information. I am very glad that this site is here now to take over for what has been lost.
I understand R C Cola is actually Robert Ryan Carter. He seems to run a computer consulting business and perhaps (not sure of this) an accounting business in Florida. I'm not sure exactly why he came into the QB64.ORG community with the control he was given. At the time I was under the impression that Fell (a very gifted coder and communicator) had too much on his plate in terms of administration of the site and rccola1987 or @RyanCarter1987 was going to take the load off. Would you know if that was the main reason he came into our community?

If it's correct, then might the problem which Fell had still be with us and this site might benefit by a succession plan should our present very gifted coder and communicator find it too much? Just a thought, perhaps a discussion for the future.
I am a (senior citizen) recent discoverer of QB64 and am agape at the recent events.  I am impressed with the community and will be lurking around to participate and help.  There is a lot I will never know, but it would be good to have a history of QB64 somewhere (probably there already is) starting with "Galleon"?  And I suppose a LARGE number of supporters. [Well, there is the Wikipedia article]

Question: I have links to three Wiki's: 1) https://qb64.dijkens.com/wiki/Main_Page.html 2) https://qb64phoenix.com/wiki/www.qb64.or..._Page.html 3) https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.php/Main_Page. Which is "most current" or "will be maintained"?

Also, say something about the different use of the "discord" forum vs. this forum.

Thanks, Dave
At the moment, we have two mirrors of the wiki up for people to use

https://qb64.dijkens.com/wiki/Main_Page.html
https://qb64phoenix.com/wiki/www.qb64.or..._Page.html

Both of the above were just offline copies downloaded from the old site, so they're nothing more than read-only versions of the wiki.  We could copy the pages of data, but not the editor accounts or passwords. We have no way to edit or upkeep either of those two versions.  Consider them historical timestamps, if you want.

https://qb64phoenix.com/qb64wiki/index.php/Main_Page -- This is our newest wiki, and is currently only about 20-30% complete, I'd guess.  We're migrating the old data over and rebuilding, as this is currently the only copy we have access to with regards to adding editor accounts and maintaining the wiki.  This one isn't complete yet, but it's going to become our "official" one soon, and the others will just become extinct.  Wink
@admin

Hi Steve,

Any chance of the latest download version of QB64 getting the Wiki link in the IDE online helped changed to the new wiki URL?

BTW: Just checked out work in progress. It really looks great!

Pete
(04-19-2022, 03:35 PM)Pete Wrote: Any chance of the latest download version of QB64 getting the Wiki link in the IDE online helped changed to the new wiki URL?

Now that's a mouth full!  I need more coffee to be certain that I deciphered what you were saying correctly there!

Are you asking, "Is the latest version of QB64 going to point to the new wiki site, to get its Help pages?"  If so, the answer would have to be, "In time, once we get the new site up and going fully."  The QB64 IDE has to parse those links and such to get the formatting for all the help pages it displays, so we really have to know exactly how the formatting is going to change before we push any change into the download.  (For example, the old wiki apparently didn't use names with $ in them, such as $SCREENHIDE.  It converted those to %24SCREENHIDE instead, while the wiki we're using is fine with the $ itself..  I also think the old wiki liked to keep leading underscores, while the current wiki doesn't, in link names and such.)  

And, if that's *not* what you're asking, then you're going to have to clarify better, and I'm going to have to drink more coffee to wake up more, because that all blurred together and became a "HUH??" in my poor brain.  Tongue
how about the following (on inspecting QB64 source code itself)?

ignore this link
h ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/r47okclwl0hnjiv/QB64P_access.PNG?dl=1
SORRY wrong image  - should be

refer this link instead
h ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/95zuyjjowv2agff/Wiki-url.PNG?dl=1

[Image: Wiki-url.png]

Well as the old saying goes, everything that's easy was at one time, hard. Right now, it's hard. Yeah, I noticed that was a different wiki platform. I like it better, but right, the incompatibilities will mean all of those links in the QB64 code will need to be extensively changed to point to the new wiki formatted keywords.

BTW - I'm just posting things needed for the future. No hurry. If I don't post them, I'll forget about them. Old age sucks. Did I mention old age sucks? Anyway, I noticed you didn't get much sleep last night, so don't burn yourself out on this stuff. You gave this place a solid start. The details will work out in time.

I'm working to get TheBOB programs ready for prime time. He used CALL ABSOLUTE mouse routines, so I'm converting them. KONG2.BAS is drop dead gorgeous, but it has a sound channel glitch. I might post it in help here, but for now, I'm waiting on Bob.

Oh, and in between coffee sips, if you could include me in the "Prolific Programmers" sub-forum, I'd appreciate it. I'll upload some of my stuff today, too. I figure the more content we get up, the sooner Google will index this place.

Pete