Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 thinks my QB64 programs are a virus
(04-01-2023, 03:52 AM)paulel Wrote: I'm actually still running QB64 1.2 (been using this version for years now)
Still trying to figure how to get Windows Defender to ignore QB64 EXEs.

I take it you are using Defender antivirus. I've never had any issues running QB64, from way back in versions 0.9xx, over Windows 7, 10, and 11, maybe because the qb64 (or qb64pe) and all my .exe files are in either of two places:

c:\users\(my userid)\documents\myprograms\qb64

or

c:\myprograms\qb64.

Neither Defender nor McAfee Enterprise seem to be bothered by this.
(04-02-2023, 10:17 PM)bert22306 Wrote: I take it you are using Defender antivirus. I've never had any issues running QB64, from way back in versions 0.9xx, over Windows 7, 10, and 11, maybe because the qb64 (or qb64pe) and all my .exe files are in either of two places:

:

c:\myprograms\qb64.

People keep doing this, one of them does something to wreck their Windows installation (viruses heaven forbid), then out of desperation they choose the "Windows Reset". Without backing up QB64(PE). Poof it's gone.

That's why I'd rather install to the "Users" because in the "Windows Reset" dialog, the user is told he/she has the option of backing up the Documents folder and other areas of his/her account. Nothing in "Program Files" is considered safe, and even less anything put directly under C: drive whether or not the operating system or any anti-virus software cares about it.

If the user installs QB64PE into "C:\Users\(theuser)\Documents" or such other place, then later on has to pick the "Windows Reset", then at least he/she remembers there are important things to copy to an external steady medium before putting the internal HDD/SSD to dance for a while. I just thought about something else, that darned "S" mode that forced me to get Internet last year. I would like to know somebody's opinion about this.

Before you go, "I never had to do Windows Reset" or "I don't know what is ''S'' mode," think about other people faced with it. The first time I used this "Windows Reset", on Windows7 about ten years ago I lost all my programs and settings related to it because I had the WindowsXP mentality for storing files that way. This option potentially gets rids even of installed programs not written by M$, so the user has to install them again, which could be a hassle with some copy-protected payware enough said...