Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
compile speed/options?
Question 
I got the itch to do some Basic again and found out about the split and decided to follow along with QB64PE. I'm on Windows 11 and on both a rather old laptop (Thinkpad T480 but 8th gen i5) and a very new AMD system the compiler seems slower than I remember on my old desktop.

I suspect it's the compiler start up time since I don't notice a difference between very small programs and larger samples I've downloaded, so there may be nothing I can do but felt I should ask. Searching didn't turn up anything.

Thanks.

Troy.
(06-04-2023, 09:48 PM)BlameTroi Wrote: I got the itch to do some Basic again and found out about the split and decided to follow along with QB64PE. I'm on Windows 11 and on both a rather old laptop (Thinkpad T480 but 8th gen i5) and a very new AMD system the compiler seems slower than I remember on my old desktop.

I suspect it's the compiler start up time since I don't notice a difference between very small programs and larger samples I've downloaded, so there may be nothing I can do but felt I should ask. Searching didn't turn up anything.

Thanks.

Troy.
If you share some code we can compare compile times. The first is always really slow but I doubt you only tried once.

There are some compiler options under Options Menu of IDE but they tend to take longer for faster running exes.

Welcome to forum!
b = b + ...
(06-04-2023, 10:01 PM)bplus Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:48 PM)BlameTroi Wrote: I got the itch to do some Basic again and found out about the split and decided to follow along with QB64PE. I'm on Windows 11 and on both a rather old laptop (Thinkpad T480 but 8th gen i5) and a very new AMD system the compiler seems slower than I remember on my old desktop.

Thanks.

Troy.
If you share some code we can compare compile times. The first is always really slow but I doubt you only tried once.

There are some compiler options under Options Menu of IDE but they tend to take longer for faster running exes.

Welcome to forum!
As bplus pointed out the first compile usually takes much longer than subsequent compiles. I'm on a 6th gen i7 so your compile times are probably faster than mine and I'm very happy with the speed.

Also, Welcome to the forum! Smile
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
Four seconds for a four line program, three seconds after edit/save/recompile.  Pythagoras.bas from Terry's tutorials was about the same. If that's the norm, I can handle it.

And thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.
(06-05-2023, 01:45 AM)BlameTroi Wrote: Four seconds for a four line program, three seconds after edit/save/recompile.  Pythagoras.bas from Terry's tutorials was about the same. If that's the norm, I can handle it.

And thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.

Yep, that sounds about right. The nice thing is compile times don't seem to increase that much when code line counts get larger. I routinely compile 3000 to 5000 line source code in less than 10 seconds, many times even quicker than that.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
Welcome to the forums.

You have to understand QB64 has to translate BASIC code to C++ to then relay it to "g++" and other tools that comprise the GNU Compiler Collection ("gcc"). That takes time. If you take a short look at "(qb64pe)/internal/temp" directory, you will notice a few hundred text files which is the result of the translations. "(qb64pe)" is the directory where you installed QB64PE.

Each version of QB64 has compiled to executable slower than the previous, but because of the way the programming system has expanded. The Phoenix Edition v3 is more complex than Galleon's efforts before QB64 hit version 1. There are many more programs involved in the creation of executables, and perhaps some Python and some other interpreter. Before v0.98 on Windows, a bunch of DLL files were required pre-installed so the user executable could run. Now everything that is needed by the executable is packed into it which increases compilation and linking time. But computers these days have plenty of RAM, and if nothing else really heavy is being done by another program or by one written with QB64 then the wait shouldn't be as long as the first time from a fresh desktop session.