Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help installing QB64PE on KDE Neon 2023 (Linux)
I installed the lastest KDE Neon linux distro today, but the QB64PE setup script fails with this error.  What would be the best step to fix this?

- Dav

Code: (Select All)
Compiling and installing QB64-PE...
./setup_lnx.sh: line 111: make: command not found
./setup_lnx.sh: line 112: make: command not found
It appears that the qb64pe executable file was not created, this is usually an indication of a compile failure (You probably saw lots of error messages pop up on the screen)
Usually these are due to missing packages needed for compilation. If you're not running a distro supported by this compiler, please note you will need to install the packages listed above.
If you need help, please feel free to post on the QB64 Phoenix Edition Forums detailing what happened and what distro you are using.
Also, please tell them the exact contents of this next line:
DISTRO: neon

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
(07-27-2023, 02:34 AM)Dav Wrote: I installed the lastest KDE Neon linux distro today, but the QB64PE setup script fails with this error.  What would be the best step to fix this?

- Dav

Compiling and installing QB64-PE...
./setup_lnx.sh: line 111: make: command not found
./setup_lnx.sh: line 112: make: command not found
It appears that the qb64pe executable file was not created, this is usually an indication of a compile failure (You probably saw lots of error messages pop up on the screen)
Usually these are due to missing packages needed for compilation. If you're not running a distro supported by this compiler, please note you will need to install the packages listed above.
If you need help, please feel free to post on the QB64 Phoenix Edition Forums detailing what happened and what distro you are using.
Also, please tell them the exact contents of this next line:
DISTRO: neon
Looks like make is not installed.  Neither make nor GCC are included in the KDE Neon "neon-user-20230720-0718" .ISO.   Hmmm, the DistroWatch page does not show a GCC compiler as being included with any previous versions of KDE Neon.

PE needs both the GCC compiler and make.

Do a quick test:
  • Open Konsole, which is under the System menu of the Application Launcher.
  • Type "make -v".
  • The "-v" will tell you which version of make is installed.  If the response is along the lines of "Command 'make' not found" then make is not installed.
  • Type "gcc -v".
  • If gcc is not found then the GCC compiler itself is not installed.

If these files are not there, then you will need to install GCC.  GNU make will probably be included in the GCC installation; if not, then it would have to be installed separately.

If that is too much of a headache, you may want to try a distro like Xubuntu, which gave me no trouble installing QB64PE (AFTER I updated & upgraded the freshly-installed Xubuntu system), or maybe check with @mnrvovrfc for their preferred flavor of Linux.  If you must have KDE then you could try Kubuntu, but it looks like maybe you might have to install GCC there, as well.

KDE Neon should show you how to install the needed software (screenshot taken from KDE Neon neon-user-20230720-0718):

Attached Files Image(s)

Open the "setup_lnx.sh" in your text editor. There should be a sequence that looks like this:

#Arch Linux  = arch
#Debian      = debian
#Fedora      = Fedora
#KUbuntu     = ubuntu
#LUbuntu     = ubuntu
#Linux Mint  = linuxmint
#Ubuntu      = ubuntu
#Slackware   = slackware
#VoidLinux   = voidlinux
#XUbuntu     = ubuntu
#Zorin       = Zorin
if [ -n "$lsb_command" ]; then
  DISTRO=`$lsb_command -si | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`
elif [ -e /etc/arch-release ]; then
  DISTRO=arch
elif [ -e /etc/debian_version ] || [ -e /etc/debian_release ]; then
  DISTRO=debian
elif [ -e /etc/fedora-release ]; then
  DISTRO=fedora
elif [ -e /etc/redhat-release ]; then
  DISTRO=redhat
elif [ -e /etc/centos-release ]; then
  DISTRO=centos
fi

Below this jumbo write the following:

DISTRO=debian

just how it appears and save the file. This has to be changed because the distro is only reporting what it is, not its base. The base (in this case Debian/Ubuntu) is needed to figure out to use "apt" and not "dnf" or "pacman" etc., and to use packages with DEB file extension which are exclusive to Ubuntu, which KDE Neon is based on.

In addition you might want to do the following before running the setup file again:

sudo apt install make
Thank you for the replies.  I may revert to a backup image and try your suggestions, just to see if those simple steps would work instead of what I did (I'm running KDE neon on a bootable thumb drive).

Before I went to bed last night I was able to get it setup and working by googling around.  I did these steps first,

sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install zlib1g-dev
sudo apt install libasound2-dev

That corrected the make problem, but missing GL errors popped up, so I searched up  that and did this:

sudo apt-get install libglfw3-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev

The only error popping up then was no curl.h file, so I did this:

sudo apt-get install libcurl4-nss-dev

After that QB64PE was able to setup and I'm compiling programs.

Hope I didn't mess anything up - I'm still in elementary school when it comes to Linux, but I'm really liking Linux so far.  Runs so smooth on my laptop, even on a thumb drive.

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
I was so against Linux for a long time then I got involved with WSL2. I really got used to some of the weirdness of Linux with that. Then I finally decided to move from Windows after it kept constantly killing my PCs and corrupting hard drives. I've been a big fan of it ever since. Most things I've done have been working right out of the box with a few exceptions.
Tread on those who tread on you