Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accumulation of many *.exe files
I know QBPE is a compiler, which makes it great, but I end up with MANY *.exe files that accumulate that I don't want.  Can I choose to have a "temp.exe" for example that would overwrite the previous version?
QB64 compiles to whatever you have the program name as, when you save the program. Without a name, you'll save over and over to untitled.exe, and constantly overwrite the old untitled.exe.

There's no current option to "Compile to Temp EXE in the menu", but that sounds to me like a nice feature for us to add in there in the future! Wink
(04-28-2022, 03:52 PM)dcromley Wrote: I know QB64 is a compiler, which makes it great, but I end up with MANY *.exe files that accumulate that I don't want.  Can I choose to have a "temp.exe" for example that would overwrite the previous version?

I have not seen such an option in the project, but I like it. I generally do a sweep every few months, and pop all the .exe files in the source folder into one I named exe-dump. I then check that file, be certain I didn't drag anything in it by mistake like QB64.exe, and delete the files.

I suppose an option could be added to the REN menu. Output as temp-something.exe. As long as that was checked, each new compilation would overwrite the old one, as per your request.

Another method to cut down on the clutter is to create project folders like pro1, pro2, pro3, etc. (lousy names but for simplicity sake) and check the option in the RUN menu to OUTPUT EXE TO SOURCE FOLDER.

Very good request and it might get taken up when some rebuilding of a development team reemerges.Right now, the priority is to update the last version to the needed changes before the community was disrupted.

Pete
Quote:Pete: .. dump .. by mistake like QB64.exe, and delete the files ..
I may be anti-social (or want to save space) by mostly not replying little bits like "thanks", etc., but Pete's quote make me LOL.  Yes, I've almost done that.  Thanks, guys.
Yeah a full fledged File manager when ever you go to Save or Open is nice. I think some Basics use something from Windows API, eg Just Basic, but QB64 would have OS issues.

A trouble with File Mgrs, you start cleaning up files and you forget what you came into to do, Save or Open? ;-))
b = b + ...