Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
little Project looking for Programmer.
Old thread.
The old forum discussion.

Hi guys.
I still need help. 
I play a 1991 DOS game that has been modded a bit. Because of that, the setup/installer program doesn't function anymore.
Installation can be done with xcopy, but that is a bit crude and unselective. (windows and Linux users can use drag and drop combined with dosbox)

So only for DOS users there is 'need' for something better. It would be nice to have a complete game again with all parts functional as intended.
The setup part is already rewritten (in QB), so only the installation part is needed (in QB, because it's for DOS and DOS only).
It needs to be able to.
1 - install(copy) the game (set file list from file) from A, to B.
2 - recognize track files and be able to list them (so one, a selection or all can be moved/copied/deleted from A to B)
3 - recognize car files (4 per car) and be able to list them (so one, a selection or all can be moved/copied/deleted from A to B)
4 - list all files that are not game, track or car and be able to list them (so one, a selection or all can be moved/copied/deleted from A to B)
5 - unpack zip files to any location.
6 - Backup (part eg game ,tracks or cars) of the installation.
7 - store deleted files in a recycle bin Dir.

I hope there are still some old school programmers active.

Regards
Daniel.
(04-29-2022, 08:21 PM)Daniel3D Wrote: Old thread.
The old forum discussion.

Hi guys.
I still need help. 
I play a 1991 DOS game that has been modded a bit. Because of that, the setup/installer program doesn't function anymore.
Installation can be done with xcopy, but that is a bit crude and unselective. (windows and Linux users can use drag and drop combined with dosbox)

So only for DOS users there is 'need' for something better. It would be nice to have a complete game again with all parts functional as intended.
The setup part is already rewritten (in QB), so only the installation part is needed (in QB, because it's for DOS and DOS only).
It needs to be able to.
- install(copy) the game (set file list from file) from A, to B.
- recognize track files and be able to list them (so one, a selection or all can be moved/copied/deleted from A to B)
- recognize car files (4 per car) and be able to list them (so one, a selection or all can be moved/copied/deleted from A to B)
- list all files that are not game, track or car and be able to list them (so one, a selection or all can be moved/copied/deleted from A to B)
- unpack zip files to any location.

I hope there are still some old school programmers active.

Regards
Daniel.

Your topic on QB64.rip was very popular - based on the number of views.

Was it Tempo... (whatever) who was actually writing QB45 code for you? I understand Tempo... had other commitments or something.

Did Tempo... actually supply some QB45 code - if so can you supply a copy (eg by Personal Message)?.

I do not have an "ancient" computer - have INTEL i7 - but can work in Legacy Mode. Also I use both DOSbox and DOSbox-x on occasions. I do some work with MS PDS 7.1 (an upgrade to QB45) - PDS 71 was discontinued by MS about 30 years ago - is an "interpretive based environment" but can easily output 16-bit DOS .exe and is highly compatible with QB45.

I do not wish to "compete" with what Tempo... did, as I understand he did a lot of work on your project - however, maybe I could do some "temporary patches" to his work, until hopefully he comes back soon to finish same for you.
Hi Richard,
Thank you for alerting me on the resurrection of QB64.
(04-30-2022, 03:39 AM)Richard Wrote: Did Tempo... actually supply some QB45 code - if so can you supply a copy (eg by Personal Message)?.
No, only a few loose bits,
(04-30-2022, 03:39 AM)Richard Wrote: I do not wish to "compete" with what Tempo... did, as I understand he did a lot of work on your project - however, maybe I could do some "temporary patches" to his work, until hopefully he comes back soon to finish same for you.
I fear he will not be back. His leaving was around the time of the start of the Fallout.

But it has not been entirely lost. I have now a clear view of what is needed.
(all information is in the old forum, but I will be able to provide it in a better way now if needed)

I mentioned 5 tasks in my post above. (EDIT. Added 2 to the wishlist)
They are separate and can made separately.
Will you make the first one?
That will be enough to make it equal to the original.
- attached the SETUP program with a placeholder for the installer. and the file list that needs to be installed.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
.bas   SETUP2.BAS (Size: 7.95 KB / Downloads: 52)
.txt   ListSTU.TXT (Size: 1.67 KB / Downloads: 68)