Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Alchemy
I've made a few changes to my Alchemy word game, that make it a bit more enjoyable to play. I've also re-checked each pair of words and verified that they are solvable within the number of moves allowed, and provided my "best results" in the Pairs list in the game, but these can be reset to the maximum of 21 changes. The files are attached as a 7zip file.
The Wordlists folder needs to be in the same folder as the alchemy file.
.7z   alchemy.7z (Size: 576.73 KB / Downloads: 62)
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/
Well I guess I better check it out, can't imagine how it could possibly be better?
b = b + ...
I love this! I love word-games in general and this ticks all the boxes and ticks them really well. That said, I also seem to be terrible at this! I gave up on alchemifying "bedroom" to anything at all  Big Grin

Shame there can't be a universal high score table. I'm assuming there isn't a QB64pe library lying around somewhere that's implemented up and downloading of leaderboards?

Either way, I have plenty of challenges yet just to beat the default 21 on each challenge.

Nice work. Very enjoyable!
So is this like a game of Boggle or something? I'd imagine "bedroom" could be "boredom"
Tread on those who tread on you

(01-12-2023, 02:15 PM)Spriggsy Wrote: So is this like a game of Boggle or something? I'd imagine "bedroom" could be "boredom"

I'm so glad you posted that response as I had it in my head that this had to be done be adding/replacing/changing letters without rearranging their order. Retrospectively, it clearly says you can rearrange the order of letters in the project's instructions! I managed to get from "milk" to "honey" using that method (without rearrangements)... but only just!

Rolleyes Blush
Going from a to b without rearrangements might be more aesthetically appealing as would using common words over exotic ones to go from a to b.

I remind, Boggle is a random arrangement of letters on grid and goal is to form as many words as possible by connecting letters without repetition of letter. Lookup bplus Boggle Trainer

Also Search Phil and Alchemy (Phil has posted at least 3 separate times) last post had several shared examples. I got my version down to 100 lines.
b = b + ...
You know me, bplus. I'm not one to actively crawl through posts about games.  Smile
Tread on those who tread on you

@ RokCoder: For BEDROOM to KITCHEN, try:
BROODED, BROOKED, CROOKED, ROCKED, ROCKET, TICKER, THICKER, KITCHEN (8)
But I'm sure you can beat this with a bit of persistence!  Big Grin  
Thanks all for responses.
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
I've implemented all of the suggested changes and improvements in Alchemy, except one: add the dictionary meanings function.
Can I (and is it legal to) include a link to, say Dictionary.com, by something like Shell, and use that service to add this function?
(I'll re-post the prog and attachments when finished with this bit).
Ok, here's the FINAL Final alchemy. All word pairs are fully tested and can be solved in the indicated number of moves or, in many cases, less. 
I've given up on trying to include word-meanings (just use Dictionary.com or some other dictionary) but the word-check is still there.
The window size has been reduced, and error messages clarified. I think it's fairly bullet-proof now!   Rolleyes

Attached Files
.7z   Final Alchemy.7z (Size: 577.23 KB / Downloads: 37)