Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kenney Game Assets All-in-1 Free Day - on itch.io - not spam
From the licence/permissions files in that huge download -

Quote:License: (Creative Commons Zero, CC0)
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

This content is free to use in personal, educational and commercial projects.

Support us by crediting (Kenney or www.kenney.nl), this is not mandatory.
So yes it really is free. The sign up only consists of a username, a working email and a password (twice to confirm). IIRC You have to check the Ts&Cs checkbox but everything else is opt-in. So what's the problem?

TR
I'm sorry if I sounded like snob. But I just don't want to give my e-mail address to another party at this moment.

Especially for one thing which is free for !one! day. To double the number of account owners who would never, ever consider buying anything from them. I sure wouldn't.

Like the Fanatical thing, I have never downloaded an e-book because I don't know how that works. If I could get it in PDF format, good because I already have Atril or Okular (on Windows as well) to choose from to handle that format. For something that calls itself a book, but can't be had in tangible fasion, I'm reluctant to install yet another program for a format that maybe is obscure. Such as EPUB. That took me by surprise in another forum last year.

BTW the Fanatical giveaway was generous. Although now I'm disappointed at my own lack of skills. There's a lot of stuff in de Byl's book that I cannot apply such as the vectors. I have to install the Python libraries to enjoy any of it.

I know coding in 3D graphics is not easy. But I'm still affected by the inability to run any of the example programs on Pure Basic. This was before the last release I was willing to acknowledge as useful, v5.21LTS, which four or five examples were able to run on my dying Toshiba single-core laptop with 1.5GiB RAM. I only wanted the examples to work, to see what could be done with that expensive programming system. Kept crashing with runtime error at "RenderWorld()" procedure. T_T

One day I sat down to observe one of MasterGy's programs in source code. Remained boggled. Some people could just grasp the technique. I'm in the camp that can't no matter how hard they try.
Quote: So what's the problem?

My problem was negative thinking, I confessed it once already Smile

Now if someone answered about the license in time, when I asked, who knows what I might have done?
b = b + ...
Try Calibre eBook manager for ePub and Foxit for PDF. For Python try (on Windows anyway) PyCharm Community Edition. It's free too. Personally I can't stand python and think it is awful as a teaching language if you intend to move onto professional programming. Even the much maligned (mainly by those that don't realise we moved on from goto and line numbers 30+ years ago) BASIC such as QB64PE is better in that respect.

TR
I personally love Kenney's assets. He has spent countless hours creating the assets and then posted them for free. Since I use some of his assets in my projects, I began to feel a little guilty and went ahead purchased the All-in-1 pack on itch.io back in January for $25. I now get free updates which have happened several times since then. 

However, you can individually download all his stuff for free with no sign-up on https://www.kenney.nl/ or from https://opengameart.org/, both have a lot of great assets to at least get your project started.
Got an email from itch.io that told me there was a free update to v 1.8.0 to the free download. Obviously I downloaded it.

TR
(09-17-2023, 01:08 AM)TarotRedhand Wrote: Try Calibre eBook manager for ePub and Foxit for PDF. For Python try (on Windows anyway) PyCharm Community Edition. It's free too. Personally I can't stand python and think it is awful as a teaching language if you intend to move onto professional programming. Even the much maligned (mainly by those that don't realise we moved on from goto and line numbers 30+ years ago) BASIC such as QB64PE is better in that respect.

TR
Thank you! When I was teaching I used QB64 in my introduction to programming course for a number of years. The school system forced me to move to the more "mainstream" language Python because the colleges demanded it. Talk about turning students off on the prospect of programming. Ugh.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
[Image: image.png]

I've been using the Kenney Assets for while now, a whole bunch of stuff done by somebody with a different design sense from me.  Recently digging into some of the UI stuff and using it: