Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keys48 - Virtual piano to play & record songs with
KEYS48 is a simple virtual piano (with 48 playable keys/notes) that you can play, record & save little songs with.  Use the mouse to click on and play the notes.  There's a menu (press M) that lists available commands.  Saved songs (.K48 files) have a very small size thanks to QB64's _DEFLATE command.

There are a few pre-recorded songs included that you can load and play.  When you start the program, press "L" to load a sample song, then type in DAV or SAMPLE or WALTZ to load & hear those songs.  Those are examples of what you can record with Keys48.

This was made mostly for coding fun and not intended to be a serious instrument.  Hope you will have fun with it too.

- Dav

.zip   keys48-v1.0-src.zip (Size: 623.75 KB / Downloads: 136)

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
(04-25-2022, 12:28 AM)Dav Wrote: KEYS48 is a simple virtual piano (with 48 playable keys/notes) that you can play, record & save little songs with.  Use the mouse to click on and play the notes.  There's a menu (press M) that lists available commands.  Saved songs (.K48 files) have a very small size thanks to QB64's _DEFLATE command.

There are a few pre-recorded songs included that you can load and play.  When you start the program, press "L" to load a sample song, then type in DAV or SAMPLE or WALTZ to load & hear those songs.  Those are examples of what you can record with Keys48.

This was made mostly for coding fun and not intended to be a serious instrument.  Hope you will have fun with it too.

- Dav
@Dav,

This is a nice 'piano', even though my playing style is fashioned after Hunt & Peck, it sounds quite nice. Great job!!

The examples, when they playback, 'seem' to be playing multiple notes at the same time... Is this done by slowing the speed prior to recording? A mention of 'overdubbing' was made. How is that done? Can the saved file be 'viewed' by any other program? I am curious as to how the application works. I enjoy music notation from time to time and would like to learn how to use this program better. Is there any documentation or is the 'menu' all that there is? Any Tutorials?
May your journey be free of incident. Live long and prosper.
@johnno56,  Thanks!

The sample songs were recorded this way ...  I slowed the tempo meter way down first, like to 40, then recorded a few notes of playing - playing the notes much slower than normal playing.  Then I recorded a 2nd time, which just added those extra notes over the 1st recording, and then a third time, and so on.  Recording again only adds notes over, not erase the previous ones.  When done adding notes I put the tempo back to normal speed and saved the file.    So it records in layers, recording new notes over the others (overdubbing them).   If you make a mistake recording something you can press U to undo last recording layer.  Only way to erase everything is to do a Clear.

I've been meaning to update this program, making it easier to use & understand.  I guess I should add a help screen.  It may be possible to add an export songs to .WAV file.  Petr figured out a way to do that with my drum machine program, I'll go back and see how he did that, can't remember off the top of my head.

Thank you for your feedback.  Coding this was fun, but hearing that someone else likes it makes it all worth while.   Smile

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner