Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parsing code files to identify dependencies?
From time to time I run into this issue where 
  • I have a program with multiple modules (in QB64, VBA, VBScript, etc.) containing some functions or routines I want to reuse in another program
  • Various routines call other routines, and there is a dependency chain.
  • So I end up having to copy one function at a time, try to compile, see what functions or variable definitions the IDE complains is missing, copy that over, test again, and so on. 
  • For bigger projects, this can take up some time and gets pretty tedious.

If anyone has found any tools or written a script that can parse multiple files of QB-like code, making a map of what functions are contained in each, and parse them all to see what functions they call, so that for function X to work somewhere else, will produce a list of all the routines you'll need to move over (including their dependencies, and so on), I would be interested in hearing about it!
Set up your functions to be LOAD_ONCE, like so:

$IF MYFUNC_FOO = UNDEFINED THEN
   $LET MYFUNC_FOO = TRUE
    Function Foo
        Foo = 123
    End Function
$END IF

The above can only load once (while your precompiler variable is undefined), and then it'll never load again (due to the $LET defining the variable).  Like this, you assure that a routine only loads once and you avoid the glitches of trying to load it multiple times into your main program.
(03-23-2023, 09:29 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Set up your functions to be LOAD_ONCE, like so:
The above can only load once (while your precompiler variable is undefined), and then it'll never load again (due to the $LET defining the variable).  Like this, you assure that a routine only loads once and you avoid the glitches of trying to load it multiple times into your main program.

Thanks - this will come in handy. 

But what I am talking about is more about programmatically analyzing code to learn what dependencies exist on custom functions, to know what subset of code to copy over, to eliminate unused code - quite the opposite of LOAD_ONCE, which is the approach of including everything and the programming environment won't blow up from duplicates. 

Also, this is for cleaning up more than QB64/PE programs, I have a need for this on a daily basis with VBA and VBScript. 

Anyway, thanks for your reply, I will file the LOAD_ONCE in my recipe box, you never know when something like that might come in handy!