Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChatGPT
(07-12-2023, 11:57 AM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: AI online is malevolent. Local AI instances are good. Use GPT4ALL, which is crossplatform. It has tons of models all trained for different things. If you have a fast computer, you can get quick responses. Slower computers will be slow as molasses on certain models.
Slow as molasses in January... but it was October!
(Who knows where that quote comes from? No cheating!! :-D LoL! )

Is this GPT4ALL free and open source? Is it easy to install, or do you have to be a tool chain wizard? I am intrigued by the idea of a standalone local version of GPT...
If one want to approach AI objectively, you must, not should, you have to read the two books by Hubert L. Dreyfus. The most profound connoisseur of AI. And therefore also the most profound critic of the AI!

Two books by Dreyfus have been published, I have read both. I would be curious what he would think and write about the AI today, but unfortunately he deceased away in 2017.

Already in his first book from 1972 (German about 1976/1981) he foresaw all the problems of the AI, and in his second book from 1986 he specified them again. He was right - practically about everything.

First book: What computer can't do - The Limits of Artificial Intelligence; Harper & Row, Publishers, New York; 1972

Second book: Mind over Machine, The Free Press, New York 1986
(07-15-2023, 08:46 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: If one want to approach AI objectively, you must, not should, you have to read the two books by Hubert L. Dreyfus. The most profound connoisseur of AI. And therefore also the most profound critic of the AI!

Two books by Dreyfus have been published, I have read both. I would be curious what he would think and write about the AI today, but unfortunately he deceased away in 2017.

Already in his first book from 1972 (German about 1976/1981) he foresaw all the problems of the AI, and in his second book from 1986 he specified them again. He was right - practically about everything.

First book: What computer can't do - The Limits of Artificial Intelligence; Harper & Row, Publishers, New York; 1972

Second book: Mind over Machine, The Free Press, New York 1986

Very nice, I'll check those out.

Two very interesting books about AI that I would recommend are these by Ray Kurzweil: 

The Age of Spiritual Machines

The Singularity is Near
GPT4ALL is free and open source. It's super easy to install, too. I'm not a tool chain wizard at all and I got it fairly easily. Just followed their instructions and it was a cinch.
Tread on those who tread on you

(07-16-2023, 12:34 AM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: GPT4ALL is free and open source. It's super easy to install, too. I'm not a tool chain wizard at all and I got it fairly easily. Just followed their instructions and it was a cinch.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Since it runs locally, can you use it to search your local file system or do things on your computer, like "Find all the Word files with info on x under folder c:/mypath/etc and move them to y"? Or else what can we do with it? Thanks again!
(07-16-2023, 06:40 PM)madscijr Wrote: Thanks, I'll check it out. Since it runs locally, can you use it to search your local file system or do things on your computer, like "Find all the Word files with info on x under folder c:/mypath/etc and move them to y"? Or else what can we do with it? Thanks again!

You're going to need a "modern" CPU, I imagine at least four cores with "AVX". Not Sandy Bridge like on my computer.

This should be checked during the installation. Instead it checks after the program is installed and it's run for the first time, which is rude.
(07-16-2023, 07:37 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
(07-16-2023, 06:40 PM)madscijr Wrote: Thanks, I'll check it out. Since it runs locally, can you use it to search your local file system or do things on your computer, like "Find all the Word files with info on x under folder c:/mypath/etc and move them to y"? Or else what can we do with it? Thanks again!

You're going to need a "modern" CPU, I imagine at least four cores with "AVX". Not Sandy Bridge like on my computer.

This should be checked during the installation. Instead it checks after the program is installed and it's run for the first time, which is rude.
Indeed that is rude! I wonder if 10th generation i7 is modern enough??
GPT4ALL does have a local files plugin but it doesn't work like you think. It just uses your chosen folder as a sample for responses. You can't directly ask it about a file on your system. I'm sure they will make something like that later but right now it just uses the files as response data. So you could basically make a model that has training information that you are specifically wanting.
Tread on those who tread on you