Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Phoenix Basic with bird logo out there.
Getting into Linux more, searching out linux BASIC compilers.  Came across one with Phoenix in it's name and also a fire bird logo.  I think this use to be called Envelop basic, but changed to 'Phoenix'  not too long ago.  I wonder which 'Phoenix edition' came first, theirs or ours? 

http://biz-wise.nl/phoenix_features.html

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
hey dav! released 2001, no longer being actively developed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Object_Basic
b = b + ...
Well rats. My bet was they started after us, and Steve gave them the bird!

Pete Big Grin
FreeBASIC @dav might be worth checking out on Linux.
grymmjack (gj!)
GitHubYouTube | Soundcloud | 16colo.rs
I wanted to try out a Basic under Linux, only command line, and so I installed yaBasic. The installation under WSL2 went smoothly, but the program requires files that I cannot find for openSuse-Leap 15.5.

A pity!  Sad I would have liked to try it out, just for fun. 

[Image: libncurses2-2024-05-159.jpg]
(05-17-2024, 06:46 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: I wanted to try out a Basic under Linux, only command line, and so I installed yaBasic. The installation under WSL2 went smoothly, but the program requires files that I cannot find for openSuse-Leap 15.5.

A pity!  Sad I would have liked to try it out, just for fun. 

[Image: libncurses2-2024-05-159.jpg]

yabasic is like SmallBASIC (which you could also try in linux) both pretty nice interpreters.
b = b + ...
Quote:yabasic is like SmallBASIC (which you could also try in linux) both pretty nice interpreters.
Small Basic cannot be found in the SuSE repository either. That won't work either.
it is free from google play store, but if you need something suse dependent???

and look for SmallBASIC not MS Small Basic big difference!

or here: https://smallbasic.github.io
b = b + ...
it continues despite rumors and whatever that leap would be taken off in favor of semiroll. users keep falling into the hole, but tumbleweed should be the recommended state for opensuse.

for yabasic i recommend you switch to the active mode of opensuse linux. what a pity there is no appimage version.

you could go to github and download the package there. try to compile it yourself. but this is a mess at least with sdl to get graphics and sound. i ran into a different program the authors cannot tell us clearly which version 1 or 2 of libsdl. cannot always assume newer because some projects were 32-bit and preferred the separate libraries. a lot like how qb64 used to be distributed.

another user once complained having trouble creating "qb64pe" executable because he stayed with leap opensuse linux. this should have produced a red flag. this has to do with how zypper works. as i've said, better chance to compile it yourself. or anything else to do with it, you are better off with tumbleweed instead of leap or use some other linux distribution.

for smallbasic there is appimage version. i have two versions. one is to be used in the terminal for simple programs. like doing mathematics. or process text file. the other appimage has a gui. but it is hard to use if you are used to qb64 gui.

i don't think that much of either, you are better off with phoenix qb64.
@bplus, if something is in the SuSE repository then Yast2 automatically resolves all dependencies and it works immediately. If not, then you have to do it all yourself, and as you can see above, you then have to search for it yourself - success is not certain.  
[Image: 55s-lam.gif]

Actually I just wanted to play around a little under Linux with a basic a la GW-Basic.   Sad

@hsiangch_ong, that is a Linux under WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux), and a Linux with graphics is only available in WSL from Win 11. There is no SuSE Tumbleweed for WSL. And Small Basic is me too complicated for a little bit fun.