Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waspentalive's Trek
(12-04-2022, 08:29 PM)waspentalive Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 07:36 PM)James D Jarvis Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 05:34 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: Just when I thought I was already having a pretty happy Friday: that was awesome.  I must forward that to the game's author.

It's fun. I tinkered with it during lunch so it works smoother on my pc and reduced hit chance for phasers based on range, added possible degradation to the phasers based on energy use, reduced effectiveness based on condition of the phasers, and have the phasers reduce energy on firing.  It makes the game a little more challenging and adds more strategy to the game. Can't just zip about blasting the baddies with the phasers at 99 all day long.

It's a nice solid program (even without the tinkering).

I had found and squashed the "Phasors don't user energy".  I know I misspelled phaser, but I am at least consistent :^).

I just recently added Bases for the Klingons and perhaps several other things in the most recent version.

I am interested in your ideas for Phasors. I will eventually cause them to use more energy per % charge so the player is incentivized to use as little % as they think they can get away with.  Note that you end the game if you drop energy below 50 units.  Also, the [R]epair command also builds energy slowly (Bussard collectors yada yada)

How do you have the phasors degrade at higher %s - do you damage them if charged to say over 85%?

The code already has them fail based on their repair status each time you fire them,
but perhaps you did it a better way? What did you do there?

Good news people! - When you charge your phasors above 85% you run the risk of damaging them.
Thanks, @James D Jarvis for the idea!
Yeah, but now thay'ze no match for my 6-shooters. (See Av-ee-tar) Thay'ze keeps eh shootin' no matter what!

- Sam

Eeeew I hatez Klingons!
Fire all phasers!
Ron's got version 1 ready.

You'll find the latest version of the Waspentalive's Trek page on the BASIC Anywhere Machine site.

Along with the previous two links (play the game, view the source), Ron's also sharing his program in the latest version of BASIC Anywhere Machine, so you'll find a new link for that too.

Related: rough and tumble release notes for the latest BASIC Anywhere Machine release.

Ron's release notes for Trek:

Code: (Select All)
' WasPentalive's Trek

Version$ = "1.0.0" ' Feature Complete (for now)
' Expecting only bugfixes unless new ideas come in

' Version$="0.3.41"  Zounds! sounds!
' estabished failsound and goodsound subroutines
' goodsound for giving your ship a name, failsound for letting it default.
'
'  Version$ = "0.3.40"  Klingon Bases
' Klingons will build a base wherever 4 klingon ships are in one sector
' Phasors can not hurt a base. Photon Torpedos only kill a base 30% of the time
' Bases can build Klingon ships as needed to keep the population at 4
' one ship at a time
' - because of that you must kill the base first, then at least 1 klingon.
' - bases are placed in Buildasector
' - bases build klingon ships in MkStatus
' - btw Klingon bases can only happen where 4 klingons have killed a base
'   because at most only 3 klingons in a sector unless there is a base
'
' BUG FIX - able to enter non integer coordinates in impulse
'
'
' Version$ = "0.3.36"
' Garbled message on phasor klingons destroyed - fixed
' fixed "fire phasors costs no energy" it should cost - a lot.
' Low energy warning
' Added Fan Based Disclaimer- and let player name the ship

' "0.3.35" ' per request add color alert status, remove "under attack" display
' also adding version display during universe build
' also added color to repair status

'"0.3.34" 
' speeding up klingon attack reports'

'"0.3.33" 
' swapping x and y in UI
' fix spelling error
' re-arrange warp arrival so LRS shows new ship location immidiatly
'
(12-05-2022, 03:54 PM)waspentalive Wrote: Good news people! - When you charge your phasors above 85% you run the risk of damaging them.
Why bother measuring them to 100% then? Maybe the threshold should be 95% for the first shot, and it should get lower "astronomically in reverse", such as 85%, 82%, 80% ... ah well I only peeked the source code for this game that I found somewhere in the Python-ized PC-BASIC, better for the "PRINT" statements... LOL couldn't make up its mind what to call Mr. Spock, sometimes used his rank.

Sorry Star Trek interested me somewhat but not a great fan and know next to nothing except a bunch of people online that admire that guy. "Pure energy!" That was actually a voice clip of his in a song by Information Society in the late 1980's. Big Grin
(12-09-2022, 06:18 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 03:54 PM)waspentalive Wrote: Good news people! - When you charge your phasors above 85% you run the risk of damaging them.
Why bother measuring them to 100% then? Maybe the threshold should be 95% for the first shot, and it should get lower "astronomically in reverse", such as 85%, 82%, 80% ... ah well I only peeked the source code for this game that I found somewhere in the Python-ized PC-BASIC, better for the "PRINT" statements... LOL couldn't make up its mind what to call Mr. Spock, sometimes used his rank.

Sorry Star Trek interested me somewhat but not a great fan and know next to nothing except a bunch of people online that admire that guy. "Pure energy!" That was actually a voice clip of his in a song by Information Society in the late 1980's. Big Grin
One would charge phasors to 100% if one needed a sure kill of all enemy combatants in the sector. This is sort of like the "death blossom" of Last Starfighter. It uses a lot of energy (or it probably will when I adjust it more).

So are you proposing a sort of cool-down period where If you use more than a certain amount of firepower in a time period you definitely damage your phasors, but if you wait between shots you can use more fully charged shots?

I will have to think on this a bit as the game is not real-time, more turn-based.
In the documentation:

Quote:Looking at the Short Range Sensos, we are at 5,1 (also seen at the top of the screen in the decimal part of our location). There are four stars at 3,7 6,3 8,7 and 8,3. There are three Klingons at 3,5 4,7 and 8,3. The one Klingon at 8,3 is not a good target for a photon torpedo because of the star at 3,7.

It was a pain copying that text, but why Google, why? (shakes fists in the air)

The "Klingon" ship is at (3,8), isn't it, while there's a star at (8,3)? It's because there is a star "just above" the "Klingon" which is correctly specified at X=3 and Y=7. Anyway the (8,3) isn't a good target for a torpedo anyhow LOL.

It might be a scheme for the bad guys to take cover from the Sensors. Just caught "Sensos" instead of "Sensors" starting that quotation. :/

Also no indication what is the 3-digit number with yellow text on the right-hand side of the screenshot. The text with red numbers on green background might look better with yellow print on red instead. Only a suggestion.
(12-10-2022, 01:44 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: In the documentation:

Quote:Looking at the Short Range Sensos, we are at 5,1 (also seen at the top of  the screen in the decimal part of our location). There are four stars at 3,7 6,3 8,7 and 8,3. There are three Klingons at 3,5 4,7 and 8,3. The one Klingon at 8,3 is not a good target for a photon torpedo because of the star at 3,7.

It was a pain copying that text, but why Google, why? (shakes fists in the air)

The "Klingon" ship is at (3,8), isn't it, while there's a star at (8,3)? It's because there is a star "just above" the "Klingon" which is correctly specified at X=3 and Y=7. Anyway the (8,3) isn't a good target for a torpedo anyhow LOL.

I don't have eyes on the example at this time, but coordinates are X= Horizontal left to right, Y = vertical top to bottom, Refer to the numbers along the edge of each of the displays.

It might be a scheme for the bad guys to take cover from the Sensors. Just caught "Sensos" instead of "Sensors" starting that quotation. :/

Also no indication what is the 3-digit number with yellow text on the right-hand side of the screenshot. The text with red numbers on green background might look better with yellow print on red instead. Only a suggestion.

-- The 3 digit numbers in your long range sensors are Stars, Bases and Klingons. The colors help you find the following sectors of interest - Blue=Safe Starbase, no Klingons
Yellow on Red=Starbase under attack
Red=Klingons here no base
Normal = Stars and Klingons

The top of the display has a reminder, but kind of cryptic = "SBK" Stars Bases Klingons