Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there?
Is there ...i mean hear 
any interest in windows include in form of awi32.bi
I figured if i want to continue with translation of my lexer from o2 to qb64pe
i need win api functions or should i just ignore it and made it more general purpose
that linux folks can use it too.
Linux people can probably use it if they will man up and install Wine. Wine runs most of my Win32 API stuff with no issues.
Tread on those who tread on you

Yo Zak...i know you have right Wine run well most win32 stuff
It depends on the audience, but I guess the most people want to run Windows at this point. So provide the include file for Windows.

(03-16-2023, 01:27 PM)Balderdash Wrote: Linux people can probably use it if they will man up and install Wine. Wine runs most of my Win32 API stuff with no issues.

Man up? Just seriously...

Not everybody wants to slow down their system with minimum of 2GB only to run Windows applications. But I guess the crowd related the most to Unix and Unix-like OS's don't think like the ones so used to Windows that both sides are intolerant with one another. A real shame.

| Don't read if you got angry
|
V
Show Content
2GB of RAM in 2023? Who would subject themselves to such torture? I'm not mad, by the way. I'm currently running ZorinOS as my primary system. I left Windows a few weeks ago due to some OS issues in Windows 11 that killed my hard drive. I've found Zorin to be quite fun and a great system for those who are migrating from Windows like myself. It came with Wine preinstalled but I had to install a newer version to do some other things. Most things I've done with the OS is rather painless. Gaming is fantastic (with Proton), for the most part. Can't run some of my Windows apps but that's ok since I can run a Windows VM or use a cloud PC. I wasn't trying to be too ornery with the "man up" comment, though. I was meaning that more in the kidding sense, of course. Just taking a poke at Linux people Smile But now I'm one of y'all!

P.S.
Even before leaving Windows, I was a big fan of WSL and used it often to run Linux apps. So I'm very much used to running things that don't belong on the OS I'm using.

I'm glad for you, could do more than I could.

I should have said something about frustration trying to tell other people about QB64 in general, and about Phoenix Edition. I got into a forum for a Linux distro. There was like zero interest. It was almost like they treated me as the maintainer of the product. It wasn't enough that I indicated I'm not one of the developers nor contributors. I had thought, naively, that at least one person would be dying to get away from Python, recalling any bit of BASIC to program a simple game or application for some kind of automation. Nope.

Elsewhere with people quite used to Unix and Unix-like, they'd be like, "Just install Wine and get it overwith, and otherwise leave me alone about Windows". Yet they are very critical about a program that is supposed to be cross-platform such as Freebasic. They should know better that it's not easy, even if it's payware.

Not all Linux OS's could have Wine easily. Must follow Alienbob's instructions first to enable "multilib" mode in what is 64-bit-only Slackware otherwise, to then install Wine and then watch out. However, people that tend to choose that OS might not care a whole lot about alternatives which are less like Unix, maybe except FreeBSD.

It's interesting because even after all these years and Wine got out of version 1, people still recall it the most when they want to play games. But thankfully there is a consciousness growing that it could work for "more serious" stuff... except what must employ foolish, selfish copy-protection.

I'm sorry for derailing this topic.
No problemo

well ..to be clear i don't have in plan to switch to linux , i like to have it installed just for testing
my windows programs using Wine...
and what about 2GB of RAM...it is enough for normal Windows programs like older browsers
or similar utility programs ,interpreters ..etc,,,

well Zak..i really don't know that you move to Lin?
Yeah, I didn't make a big deal about the move on the forum because I am the Win32 guy. I still plan on making Windows apps since I'm more comfortable in that environment but I'll branch out and make some for Linux as well. If you're on Windows, I highly recommend installing WSL2 with an X server or WSLg. Linux apps work fantastic in that setup. Great for testing out little one off projects without having to install a full-fledged VM for Linux.

(03-16-2023, 03:56 PM)aurel Wrote: and what about 2GB of RAM...it is enough for normal Windows programs like older browsers
or similar utility programs ,interpreters ..etc,,,

What I meant is that it's at least 2GB to get Wine and its dependencies from repositories (a bunch of 32-bit libraries not installed by default on older Debian/Ubuntu, less of them for Wine v8 on Arch), then "wine-gecko" (chiefly for being able to open CHM files) and "wine-mono" (for "dot-NET" stuff, naming only what the packages are called as per "pacman" program for Arch) which are available separately most of the time, then running "winecfg" on terminal. The two addies are almost 500MB in "pacman"-compressed form I noticed yesterday when I had to reinstall Manjaro onto the growling internal HDD of my main laptop. Running "winecfg" adds at least 500MB more of stuff, maybe more. Especially the army of 32-bit libraries would require more disk space, that's why usually "multilib" isn't enabled for package managers of some Linux systems. Even more space, probably for the "dot-com" interfaces and other exotic stuff would be needed to support 64-bit Windows8 and Windows10 in particular. It's possible to have Wine without "systemd" (Devuan, Slackware) but otherwise, more disk space would be needed for services installed and enabled such as getting the desktop system to recognize an EXE file as something to be started up by Wine, not something it should try to treat as compressed archive.
2 GB is rather small, really. I could see that only being an issue if you have a teeny-weeny hard drive, like 32 GB.