Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem starting BC.Exe in DOS 5.02
No, I am not trying to run QB64 in DOS. I am trying to run BC.EXE to compile a QB45 project.

I cannot obviously compile BC.EXE since it is the compiler used to compile a QB .bas program.

I can't find a fpu emulator and the 486 has no fpu so therefore we are going to scrap the whole entire machine.

Erik.

(only proves I need a Pentium class or later)
(06-11-2023, 03:04 AM)eoredson Wrote: No, I am not trying to run QB64 in DOS. I am trying to run BC.EXE to compile a QB45 project.

I cannot obviously compile BC.EXE since it is the compiler used to compile a QB .bas program.

I can't find a fpu emulator and the 486 has no fpu so therefore we are going to scrap the whole entire machine.

Erik.

@eoredson Before you go scrapping the system what make/model is it? I collect DOS computers and may be interested in taking it off your hands if possible.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(06-11-2023, 03:04 AM)eoredson Wrote: No, I am not trying to run QB64 in DOS. I am trying to run BC.EXE to compile a QB45 project.

Erik.
BC cannot be compiled, that is the command line compiler that is called or can be called from both the IDE and DOS.

I wrote that an FPU isn't necessary because QuickBasic automatically emulates these functions. This function is in one of the LIB files.

It also doesn't need a Pentium. My first computer still had an 8086 CPU and there were no problems, whether with Modula, QuickBasic, QuickC and so on. Compiling QB programs even worked without any problems under WinXP, only from Vista was the end.

I'm really wondering what you're doing now. Look at the screenshot. If these files are present it must work, otherwise the problem is yourselves.
(06-11-2023, 03:04 AM)eoredson Wrote: I can't find a fpu emulator and the 486 has no fpu so therefore we are going to scrap the whole entire machine.

Before scrapping the computer, try to compile the program with BASIC PDS v7.1. I don't know the switch for "BC.EXE" to enable the software emulator. Probably it's "-Fe" ("-F" for coprocessor and "e" for emulation.) QuickBASIC's "BC.EXE" couldn't do that because it was supposed to be the base edition. It indicated M$ and Untel were never on the same page.

A computer with 486 CPU was definitely capable of "protected mode" stuff, with or without co-processor. The 16-bit DLL's and "virtual device drivers" for Windows v3 were essentially full of it. The problem is programs created with PDS in that mode won't work on even older equipment and especially if it adheres to the 640KB RAM limit imposed by MS-DOS without extended memory trickery.

LOL I used to crave for an IBM PS/2 Model 30 with monochrome graphics. How technology has advanced so that I can't imagine anymore using something without USB capability, Ethernet and multi-core processing.
(06-11-2023, 03:36 AM)TerryRitchie Wrote:

Erik.

@eoredson Before you go scrapping the system what make/model is it? I collect DOS computers and may be interested in taking it off your hands if possible.
Um, no... When scrap them we don't throw the parts away -- we sell the parts to a scrapping yard who pays for them (the copper/gold/etc.)

Erik.