Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to extract the QB64PE .7z distribution using File Explorer
The Sep 26, 2023 update to Windows 11 22H2 introduced the ability for File Explorer to extract files from archives of types other than just .zip files. This includes .7z files. However, File Explorer cannot extract contents of the QB64PE .7z distribution. Trying to extract the files results in an error:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x8096002A: No error description is available"

I have tried this with both the 3.8.0 and 3.9.0 distributions.

The workaraound is simple - simply use 7-ZIP.

I'm wondering if there is a known cause for this problem. Is it possible that some advanced compression method is being used that File Explorer simply does not understand?
https://windowsreport.com/0x80096002/  <-- Read and try this.

Error 0x8096002a can be fixed by running the command "wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow" in the command window that opens when you search for cmd and Run as Administrator on your home screen search bar.
Makes no difference.
Perhaps it is instead a bug with Windows extraction and not with the file itself. I tried extracting a tar with the new Windows feature and it was painfully slow. Much quicker in Linux. They probably just need to work out some kinks with the extraction.
Tread on those who tread on you

I was inquiring whether it might be that the files are being compressed using some switches to use some of the advanced (higher compression) algorithms rathar than just the standard defaults used by 7-Zip.
Looks like it's a Microsoft glitch of some sort, as other folks have reported it.  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...1b5d40f636
Second possibility, I see from reading various articles on the web, suggests that the problem may be a file name limit issue.  Unless your system allows "Long Path Enabled", Windows only allows a total of 255 characters for a file name + total path.  A file on "C:\My Home Drive\My Programming Stuff\QB64PE\QB64PE V3.9.1\ect...." could end up with the inner files becoming too long to extract.  I'd try to extract to a simplified directory and see what happens.  (Such as "C:\Foo\".)

If that doesn't work, then just use 7zip or winrar, or whatever you used to use to extract the folder.  Windows will sort out the issue eventually, if enough people bring it to their attention over time.  Smile
If on Windows 11, I'd recommend Nanazip. It is a fork of 7-Zip that also has File Explorer integrations that use the new context menu that 7-Zip does not currently access.
Tread on those who tread on you