Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy fiber Batman!
I have the 1 gig connection at my place.
Tread on those who tread on you

Same here, 1 gig. Great for streaming movies, with... Great for gaming... son... Doesn't mean spit to me, because my computer can't handle squirrels on sugar. This hamster wheel has one speed, slow!

I was told fiber was coming to the coast 15 years ago. It finally made it a couple of years ago. We booted the cable immediately. Of course those guys are desperately trying to lay fiber now, too.

Anyway, $80 for the gig, and all free streaming apps. Beats the hell out of $280 a month for cable and the channels they included. If I wanted to cheap it, I could get 256 for $29 a month, but my wife and son would probably not be in the mood to conduct a peaceful protest. Bandwidth Matters!

Pete
Fake News + Phony Politicians = Real Problems

Who is your internet provider? That's super cheap internet
Tread on those who tread on you

Xfinity recently started a self-service broadband option called Xfinity Now.  $30 for 100Mbps and $45 for 200Mbps.  Those prices include taxes and fees.  Currently you get the modem for free as well.  While not quite as fast as some of you, still fast enough...
(08-19-2024, 11:11 AM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: Who is your internet provider? That's super cheap internet
I agree, I would snap that up in a second.

The thing is, all Internet providers could offer much lower prices and still turn huge profits.

Back in 1996 two friends of mine started ISPs offering dial-up (only thing available back then). They leased partial T1 lines from AT&T and purchased racks upon racks of Western Digital modems. One friend decided to charge on a token basis. Customers would purchase tokens and use them throughout the month with front-end software called WorldCom (sort of like an AOL local room with access to the Internet). The other friend offered a fixed rate of $14.95 per month. They were making boatloads of cash! Within a year both had switched to $19.95 a month unlimited to match what other ISPs were doing around the country. Their businesses were hugely profitable even though they had to lease the T1 lines from AT&T. When AT&T started offering DSL directly to people it killed their businesses. AT&T offered broadband for $19.95 a month but the local ISPs could not match that because leasing the bandwidth was too expensive. Once AT&T had killed off all the local ISPs the DSL prices started skyrocketing. Today's ISPs own the backbones and equipment. They could EASILY drop their prices and still turn huge profits.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
(08-19-2024, 02:19 PM)bplus Wrote: Yeah send em to Ohio! Spectrum is getting away with monopolistic murder here.
My Spectrum bill for basic Internet went from $49 a month to $95 a month in 6 years!

Omni Fiber offers a "refer-a-friend" feature too. If a friend signs up you get $50 and the friend does too. I'm seriously thinking of making up some cards to pass out in front of the local Spectrum store, LOL. All I would need is 12 people a year and I have free Internet.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
I got a special deal through ATT. It's a senior plan... I guess they figure I'll kick the bucket, soon! Big Grin 

Pet.... ah e.

EDIT

Quote: Spectrum is getting away with monopolistic murder here.

Ya know if Dems were worth a flying fart they'd have worked at breaking up these monopolies. Instead they verbally demonized corporations while sticking it to the middle class over the last three years. Oh and that reminds me. Tomorrow is Taco Tuesday. Better unpack the crash helmet tonight!
Fake News + Phony Politicians = Real Problems

Technology: Fiber
Download: 863 Mbs
Upload: 453 Mbs
Cost: 39€
Why not yes ?