Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what happened??
(04-23-2022, 02:53 PM)fred Wrote: I am amazed how unprofessional Robert Ryan Carter is (alias "RC Cola 1987"). He has no integrity or respect for others' hard work.  Who in their right mind would join a thriving online community only to  destroy that community? I suspect his brain is haddled due to all those electric shocks he received when he was younger. Then again, he could be a product of bad parenting, his mother, allowing him to be electrocuted. Or perhaps I have just generated a load of bull shite. The one thing I do know, he is the master of bull shit. The following attatchment (S03E06_part.mp3) is an extract directly from the bulls'arshole.

The full version is found here:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7qmtTQamdBxLVUjSGcdgep

My point, that interview generated red flags and alarm bells.

I've never listened to his podcast before, but just by starting it up, you can tell he's completely unreliable when it comes to anything to do with pricing...

"I got my first computer back when I was 4 and a half...  It was an old Packard Bell... Windows 3.1..  Cost over $10,000 back then...."

Huuuhhhhh????

"Windows 3.1 was released on April 6, 1992 as a successor to Windows 3.0. Subsequent versions were released between 1992 and 1994 until the release of its successor, Windows 95."

So we have a good timeline to look at what type of computer his family would've bought.

[Image: 1482948773629725.jpg]

These are Packard Bell's top of the line models in 1996...  They'd be just a few years newer than the one he was describing...  Less than $3000.00.

As a kid who ended up getting a PC around that same time frame, I can certainly attest that the buying point wasn't in the 5 digit range.  They were much close to the $2000 mark, as illustrated by the images above.

I ended up snorting my coffee out my nose listening to help spout bull and ended up turning the podcast off just a bit after that.  I'd already learned enough to know that listening to anything further would just be a complete waste of time.
Tried to go to the Wiki to get help on a command. Met with the sound of Crickets. Huh? Found your site. Thanks for the info on what happened. Are you going to set up a new Patreon? I need to figure out how to disable the old one. I'll gladly keep my monthly $2 donation heading your way. I know I've been like a ghost for the past 1+ year but that doesn't mean I quit using QB64. I still find time to bang out games now and then.
In regard to what computers really cost, back in the day.

In 1992 I bought my first custom built desktop computer, for my office. A "state of the art" 486, running Windows 3.1. Huge tower. It included a 15" monitor, CD drive, A and B floppy drives, and a tape backup. All of that for the bargain price of $4000. Yeah, computers were more expensive back then, but $10,000? DO: PRINT "B.S.": LOOP UNTIL INFINITY

Pete
Fake News + Phony Politicians = Real Problems

@Pete That's $10,000 of whatever RC uses... $15,000 American... and that's in the podcast, not just me being funny. (Listen around the 1:45 mark.)
"Take ALL my work out of the repo. I no longer feel that the project as it exists supports the spirit of BASIC with which I wrote my code and inserted itself into the project, and I refuse to give any rights to keep my code active and inside the source any longer. Failure to remove all my contributions from the language will result in my pursuing legal recourses against copyright infringement."

Ummm...that is not how it works. The property of the code goes back to the policy in place when the code was donated. You cannot after-the-fact change your mind and demand compensation for something that you donated to the project. I do not know what policies were in place when the code was uploaded. He cannot retroactively change the licensing just because he feels like it.

Regarding "pursuing legal recourses against copyright infringement." - uhhh...really? So he is going to spend good money on attorneys to fight this with zero chance of any compensation? All because he wants to be difficult?

AND LASTLY...$200-something per year? Consider it DONE !!! If there is any chance of bringing this project back around to be under proper management and have servers up and running again, I will pay HostGator (or whomever we go with here) for this next year in full. Just let IM me here (if these forums allow that) and we can get together to guarantee another year...

(04-23-2022, 07:08 PM)TerryRitchie Wrote: Tried to go to the Wiki to get help on a command. Met with the sound of Crickets. Huh? Found your site. Thanks for the info on what happened. Are you going to set up a new Patreon? I need to figure out how to disable the old one. I'll gladly keep my monthly $2 donation heading your way. I know I've been like a ghost for the past 1+ year but that doesn't mean I quit using QB64. I still find time to bang out games now and then.

You ARE still around !!!  WooHoo!
Your posts on the old forums were soooo helful.  Thank you for all your help in the past.  I still have copies of your toolboxes you posted.
+1 right
b = b + ...
(04-23-2022, 02:53 PM)fred Wrote: I am amazed how unprofessional Robert Ryan Carter is (alias "RC Cola 1987"). He has no integrity or respect for others' hard work.  Who in their right mind would join a thriving online community only to  destroy that community? I suspect his brain is haddled due to all those electric shocks he received when he was younger. Then again, he could be a product of bad parenting, his mother, allowing him to be electrocuted. Or perhaps I have just generated a load of bull shite. The one thing I do know, he is the master of bull shit. The following attatchment (S03E06_part.mp3) is an extract directly from the bulls'arshole.

The full version is found here:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7qmtTQamdBxLVUjSGcdgep

My point, that interview generated red flags and alarm bells.

==> My point, that interview generated red flags and alarm bells.

I felt the same way.....
I listened to the podcast and I visited Robert Ryan Carter's LinkedIn page and his company (Carter Enterprises) web site. I get the following impressions:

1. Robert Ryan Carter (RCcola1987) is a small businessman that runs a computer service company in Florida that sells and maintains computers among other things;
2. He had worked as a computer technician and network technician for other support companies before founding his own company; and
3. He developed network maintenance scripts in QB64 (as opposed to PowerShell which he says he hates).

I have tried to communicate with Mr. Carter via LinkedIn (he does not advertise a personal email address anywhere), but he has not responded. He has not updated his company web site in a long time.

The questions in my mind are:

1. How did Carter and Fillippe get together?
  2. What made Fillippe think that Carter was a good candidate to take over the administrative functions of the QB Team?
  3. What were Mr. Carter's long term plans for QB64?

This still appears to me to be a mystery.
How about we DROP all references to the late-departed, and STOP giving him free fame/infamy boosts?
It's not productive or healthy for the new "family".
(04-27-2022, 11:37 PM)PhilOfPerth Wrote: How about we DROP all references to the late-departed, and STOP giving him free fame/infamy boosts?
It's not productive or healthy for the new "family".

There is a ton of merit to that, however: knowing what in the blazes happened could help (sometimes history can teach us something for a little while) prevent that poop-show in a dumpster fire from happening again anytime soon.

Dollars to donuts, that wasn't the first time a project of some kind gets that kind of what-the-h$%&, and it won't be the last.

But maybe such discussion needs a special subforum that's more about project management, project organization, lessons learned, etc. etc.