Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does my Loop end after 11 Loops?
(02-06-2023, 07:08 PM)Dimster Wrote: I have a file with over 28,000 data items. They are stored in the file in groups of 7. I have often OPENed this file, Inputed 7 items at a time and worked on each item before grabbing the next 7 data items.

The code goes

Open File
  Do While Not EOF
     For i = 1 to 7:Input DataItem(i): Next
     Call Subroutine to work on these 7 data items
   Loop

I have never had a problem looping thru the entire data file however recently I been working with Recursion and changed the routine to 

Open File
Recur

Sub Recur
LoopRecur = LoopRecur + 1
Seek #1, 1
for i = 1 to 7:Input DataItem(i):Next
 DataCount = DataCount + 7
Call Subroutine to work on these 7 data items
if DataCount < 4000 then Recur
End Sub

So I'm scratching my head when this recursive routine only performs 11 loops and the program just stops running. That number 11 brings to mind a possible un-dimensioned variable or perhaps a dynamic array that has gobbled up memory. I can't find anything like that in my program (which has thousands of lines of code so I could be missing it). On the other hand, could this recursive code simply be the culprit in memory munch whereas the original Do While did not munch memory?

You need to set up the subroutine Recur as static:

SUB Recur() Static

Without the STATIC keyword the value for LoopRecur and DataCount will not get preserved between calls.

Messages In This Thread
Why does my Loop end after 11 Loops? - by Dimster - 02-06-2023, 07:08 PM
RE: Why does my Loop end after 11 Loops? - by TerryRitchie - 02-06-2023, 07:48 PM