Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with creating a Huffman code tree
I haven't closely read all of your code, but it looks like you have the right idea for creating the table of character frequencies. For creating the actual Huffman tree you can just make an array of nodes, and in place of where you'd normally use pointers you just store an index into the array of nodes. Once you do that it's reasonably easy to use the typical algorithm to make the huffman tree. So it would work something like this (I didn't test this):

Code: (Select All)
' I think this is all you need
Type HuffmanNode
  Char As _Unsigned _Byte
  Count As _Unsigned Long
  Left As Long ' 0-bit path
  Right As Long ' 1-bit path
End Type

ReDim tree(20) As HuffmanNode ' I just picked a random size, in practice you'll resize this as you create more nodes

tree(2).Char = ASC("A") ' Leaf node
tree(2).Count = 10
tree(2).Left = -1 ' -1 for the indexes indicates a leaf node
tree(2).Right = -1

tree(3).Char = ASC("B")
tree(3).Count = 15
tree(3).Left = -1
tree(3).Right = -1

' This is an internal node created when creating the huffman tree
tree(1).Char = 0 ' doesn't actually have a char
tree(1).Count = 25 ' Addition of the counts of left/right
tree(1).Left = 2 ' The "A" leaf node
tree(1).Right = 3 ' The "B" leaf node

' When traversing the tree, you index the array with the .Left and .Right values
Print "0-bit path of internal node 1: "; tree(tree(1).Left)
Print "1-bit path of internal node 1: "; tree(tree(1).Right)

When creating the huffman tree you'll initialize that `tree()` array with leaf nodes created from your existing `Table()` array (and really, you could probably combine them into one array with a little work).

One catch is that you can't sort that array to find the next two nodes to handle, because sorting will change the position of the nodes in the array and make all your `.Left` and `.Right` entries wrong. To fix that you can just use another array of indexes and sort that (which is what you'd typically do in C anyway), like this:

Code: (Select All)
ReDim HuffmanQueue(256) As Long

' Assuming the starting leafnodes are entries 1 to 256 in tree()
For i = 1 To 256
  HuffmanQueue(i) = i
Next

' When sorting you do this kind of thing
If tree(HuffmanQueue(x)).Count > tree(HuffmanQueue(y)).Count Then
  ' Swapping two entries in the queue
  z = HuffmanQueue(y)
  HuffmanQueue(y) = HuffmanQueue(x)
  HuffmanQueue(x) = z
End If

' Create a new tree() node and assign it into HuffmanQueue()

tree(nextNode).Left = HuffmanQueue(1)
tree(nextNode).Right = HuffmanQueue(2)
tree(nextNode).Count = tree(HuffmanQueue(1)).Count + tree(HuffmanQueue(2)).Count

HuffmanQueue(1) = nextNode
HuffmanQueue(2) = -1
nextNode = nextNode + 1

' The above requires your sort to ignore the -1 entries.
' You could also just shift all the entries in the HuffmanQueue() array up one so that the HuffmanQueue(2) entry is gone and the array is one less in size.

To actually build the huffman tree you will sort the `HuffmanQueue()` array, then take the first two entries and build a new `HuffmanNode` that has those two entries as its `.Left` and `.Right`. Then you replace one of the `HuffmanQueue()` entries with your newly created node, remove the other one (Maybe set it to `-1`, or shift everything over and reduce the size of the array), and then sort and remove again until only one node is left in `HuffmanQueue()` (either due to reduced size, or all of them are `-1`).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problem with creating a Huffman code tree - by DSMan195276 - 07-02-2023, 02:12 AM