Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Practice for Library Building and Toolboxes
Quote:1) Subs/Functions should start with creator initial.  A Steve(tm) library would use SM_ for naming convention.  Sure, there might be more than one guy with the SM initials out there, but if there is, he hasn't posted much here on the forums, and all conflicts with SM_Xpos and TR_Xpos are instantly cleared up...

Although I mentioned this kind of ID earlier too here in this topic, after rethinking I came to the conclusion that we don't necessarily need IDs for SUB/FUNC names. Why?? - Every library has a specific purpose, eg. imageprocessing, spritesheets, menu, database, sorting etc., from that point of view the SUB/FUNC names should be unique enough between the different library types, as the names are usually chosen having the context of the respective library in mind. Even if there may exist more than one library for the same purpose, eg. three different spritesheet libs from three different authors, then still the user will most probably decide to use just one of it, the one which fits best for his needs.

Quote:Quote
2) GLOBAL Names should be self descriptive as much as possible.  SM_TextToImage is much easier to understand, remember, and use than SM_TTI, and chances are, it's also more resistant against accidental duplication.
Agreed, however for me it doesn't matter if the initials are representing the authors name or the library name/type. Every author should just be consistent on his preferred naming scheme.

3) COMMON variable names (such as any single digit character) should *always* be LOCAL and TEMPORARY in scope.  Don't DIM SHARED X, Y, I, K, M, ect...  Keep them reserved as temp variables and they should never interfere with another user's variables.
Totally agreed.

4) Unless NECESSARY, Subs/Functions should never pass values back via the parameter.  Instead of SUB SM_MathJunk (X, Y), values should be passed as SUB SM_MathJunk (TempX, TempY), with the next line reading X = TempX: Y = TempY.  This practice prevents all instances of accidental value corruption.
Agreed, however it seems you chose the easy way for you as library implementor. I personally would leave it as SUB SM_MathJunk (X, Y) for the public user and rather do tmpX = X: tmpY = Y internally, as any unexperienced user could be confused, if he reads to give "temporary" arguments to a SUB/FUNC call.
  Very important, if argument side effects are necessary/intended, then this MUST be explicitly mentioned in the respective function description. Also remind the potential user of such a SUB/FUNC that he should not use extra parenthesis to make a BYVAL parameter transfer. Also he can not give any literal values, but only variables of the very same variable type as specified in the parameter list, because QB64 would internally create a temporary parameter for literals or wrong variable types, which would compromise the intended side effect.

5) Arrays should be hard indexed.  Don't DIM SHARED Array(10); instead DIM SHARED Array(0 To 10).  This prevents incompatibility if the user has OPTION BASE 1 in effect.
Indeed, I've never thought about this one Steve, agreed.

6) Subs/Functions should *always* restore settings before exit.  If your sub needs a _DISPLAY to show text on the screen (such as for a message box), check to see if the user had _AUTODISPLAY on, and if so, restore it on exit.  _DEST, _SOURCE, _BLEND, COLOR, Visible Screen, and lots more *can* be altered while in a sub, but unless that's the intended purpose of the sub, it shouldn't happen in Library code.
Totally agreed.

7) Useage of Global Flags/Metacommands should be avoided.  DON'T count on DEFLNG A-Z to be set, or OPTION BASE to be 0/1, or $DYNAMIC to be in use.  Once you share a library publicly, you'll run into somebody who has the option set completely backwards of what you always ASSUMED was standard.
Indeed, never count on it and never ever even think on defining it in your library. Also, just as Terry mentioned, don't ever think on defining CONSTs for true/false, consider it would be the same as doing a DEFLNG A-Z in your library. Instead use type suffixes in your library code and literal booleans 0/-1 as suggested by Terry.

Ready for further revision of the rules....

The above is from our last conversation where we kicked this topic around and mulled over what would be the best practices for things.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best Practice for Library Building and Toolboxes - by SMcNeill - 10-18-2023, 12:29 PM