Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Practice for Library Building and Toolboxes
(10-18-2023, 12:43 PM)bplus Wrote: I see what you are saying but I am not a fan of github nor of carrying around a library file. Imagine having to post link to github or attaching SM_Toolbox.bi and SM_Toolbox.bm to code at forums, eh... zip files solves all that I guess!

BTW is it SM_Toolbox ? ;-))

One idea is to simply start bundling user libraries in with QB64 itself eventually -- then everyone would always have a copy right there at hand and not need to grab updates from github.  Only thing that would need to happen before we could go that route, is we'd need to get a dedicated group of people who are willing to keep those libraries updated and working, so we're not including dead junk in with the main releases.

As for sharing, what you're talking about is basically the same as it is now -- anyone who writes any real code in QB64PE has to simply zip up the files and share them like that.  After all, what are you going to do with your sound, font, image, and other resources?  Small programs, you can always grab out the routine and copy/paste it, if you want, to save the lazy folks the effort of downloading your library itself, but you'd still have to offer up a zip file which would hold all those resource files.

As for SM_Toolbox, I'm not using that in this case.  Honestly, in time, I hope more folks will help contribute their own stuff to the toolbox and it'll become a community resource, and not just a personal one for yours truly.  Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best Practice for Library Building and Toolboxes - by SMcNeill - 10-18-2023, 01:42 PM