Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A possible bug in qb64
(03-22-2024, 04:47 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: Note 2 that QBASIC and QB64 are neither one CaSe SeNsItIve...

I or i, it doesn't matter as far as variable names go.  
Which is how ALL programming languages should have been, in the first place.

I mean, when I first discovered the C language, and I discovered a number of syntactic features that I thought were fantastic, like:
* The ++ (or --) operator, increment (or decrement) the variable next to it so that you can use
     i++ or ++i to increment, and --i or i-- to decrement, the variable i by 1, a very common practice in programming. Plus, it goes further than that, so that you can say
     k==++i , which means, add 1 to i and assign it to k, or
     k==i++, which means, assign the current value of i to k, then add 1 to i. The symbol -- does the same thing, except it subtracts 1.
* The +=, -=, *=, and /= operators. This allows compressing an expression
   k == k*5 can be expressed as
  k*=5
This also works for the other three operators.
This last feature is so useful that Free Pascal has implemented +=, -=, *=, and /= as an addition to the standard
  A := A+31; which can now also be expressed as  a+= 31;

However, one of the things that soured me on the language was the brain-dead, stupidly moronic, and insane practice of having CASE-SENSITIVE identifiers! Programming is hard enough as it is, and making identifiers case-sensitive is the stupidest way to cause programmers to introduce bugs. Now, on top of the effort of getting the scope and "seeing the picture" of a program, so you can maintain it, now you have to remember which case the identifier uses. Yes, I know by now C/C++ programmers have gotten used to this state of affairs, but, then again, we have a phrase for those trapped in a situation and think it is reasonable, "The Stockholm Syndrome."
While 1
   Fix Bugs
   report all bugs fixed
   receive bug report
end while

Messages In This Thread
A possible bug in qb64 - by ZabZab - 03-22-2024, 04:42 AM
RE: A possible bug in qb64 - by SMcNeill - 03-22-2024, 04:47 AM
RE: A possible bug in qb64 - by TDarcos - 03-25-2024, 06:23 PM