Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a slow PC? Test these changes, kindly!
@TerryRitchie You were asking about how the IDE slows down once you get to about 3000+ lines of code in it.   Here's a very simple fix, which seems to drastically cut down on that lag for my system.  Give it a try, if you will.  (And anyone else who wants to as well, as it'd be nice to make certain this doesn't break anything before trying to work it into the repo.)

To test this:

1) Have a version of the latest source from the repo (or at least from v3.13+)
2) Grab this file here:  
.bas   ide_methods.bas (Size: 842.52 KB / Downloads: 81)
3) Go to your QB64PE folder, navigate to source/ide and rename ide_methods.bas to something like ide_methods.bak.
4) Move the file you downloaded to that QB64PE/source/ide folder and let it take the place of that old file.
5) Start QB64PE, open source/qb64pe.bas and build yourself a new version of qb64pe.  I'd imagine this should be named QB64PE(2).EXE or similar.
  --- note:  *DON'T have the "PUT EXE IN SOURCE FOLDER" option clicked.
6) If you didn't see the note above, move the QB64PE(2).exe from the source folder to the main folder.  Tongue
7) Test it with anything and everything that you want to test it with.

See if the IDE is more responsive.  If it pastes code faster than it did before (CTRL-V) into the IDE.  If your 20000 line program gets sluggish and lags behind your typing, or if it now keeps up with it better.

Personally, I think this is giving me quite an improvement as even 100,000 lines programs now keep up with my typing and such, without lagging behind like they used to sometimes -- but I've got a fairly high end PC and for the last year or so, that lag has been minimal at best for me.

Let me know if any of you guys notice any changes at all -- for better, or worse, or even if I broke something terribly (which I'm certainly more than capable of doing -- and have done to our poor source more than once.  Big Grin ).  If things are an improvement, I'll see about pushing the changes into the repo to maybe help the IDE perform a little better for folks in the next release.

Messages In This Thread
Got a slow PC? Test these changes, kindly! - by SMcNeill - 05-11-2024, 03:32 AM