Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BASIC's Comparison Matrix: ideas for content?
(05-22-2022, 04:28 PM)madscijr Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 12:59 AM)CharlieJV Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 09:05 PM)madscijr Wrote: If GW-BASIC is the target goal, for me what would kick ass would be for your BAM to be able to run Akalabeth, graphics and all!

Play the Apple II version at archive.org.

The GW-BASIC port by Oscar Toledog:  https://nanochess.org/akalabeth.html

BAM version, tweaked just enough to get (seemingly) working:
I might create a version tweaked to my liking.  At least visual cues on the screen to know what key presses do what.

As is, Akalabeth does run under QB64... I was going to eventually tweak it to replace the graphics with tile graphics taken from Ultima 1, and tweak the controls to match the standard keys the Ultima games used. Another project for the backburner! 

Speaking of TiddlyWiki and its features, running BASIC code on the Web, and using it to script TiddlyWiki, here is a thread where we were discussing adding tagging to these forums. I was musing how adding TiddlyWiki-like features and the ability to program custom plugins in BASIC to these forums could make them all that more useful... 

Not saying it can't be done, but BASIC as an alternative to javascript (or other) for scripting on the web, I'm not sure how feasible that is.

The farthest I've taken BASIC scripting for TiddlyWiki:  TiddlyWiki put something in browser local/session storage;  BASIC program running in iframe acts on whatever TiddlyWiki put in local/session storage; BASIC program puts results in local/session storage; TiddlyWiki gets whatever BASIC program put in local/session storage.

That works great, but isn't the traditional kind of client-side scripting we find in web pages.

Then there's the kind of scripting that happens (CGI-scripting) on the web server side.  That is way out of my pay band.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BASIC's Comparison Matrix: ideas for content? - by CharlieJV - 05-22-2022, 05:52 PM