Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limit quantity of nested quotes
I highly prefer forums over chat rooms such as Discord, but there is one bad habit I don't miss from the message board era: excessive quotations. Here's a screenshot to provide an example, not with intent to pick on anyone:

[Image: IMG-2740.png]

Though the screenshot is on a cell phone which exacerbates the issue, "mobile" traffic is a substantial amount of Web traffic, so it seems ridiculous for a post to use an entire screen length. The actual content of the post is one sentence! Even on a laptop screen or external monitor, it's a slight irritation scrolling past multiple duplicates of both posts and code as one works their way through reading a thread.

Here's my etiquette: If I'm responding to the newest post in the thread, I don't think there is a need to quote at all. When I do quote, I try to reduce it to the specific part of the message being replied to. I cannot think of a common purpose to nest multiple quotes within each other. You can click the green arrow icon ([Image: jump.png]) next to a person's quote to revisit their post in full when additional context is needed.

The MyBB software provides a built-in way to eliminate excessive quoting by setting a value for Maximum Nested Quote Tags. It should be found here if they have not changed their UI: Admin Control Panel -> Configuration -> Settings -> Posting

Messages In This Thread
Limit quantity of nested quotes - by vividpixel - 07-03-2024, 03:59 PM
RE: Limit quantity of nested quotes - by SMcNeill - 07-03-2024, 04:30 PM
RE: Limit quantity of nested quotes - by SMcNeill - 07-03-2024, 04:36 PM
RE: Limit quantity of nested quotes - by Jack - 07-03-2024, 06:46 PM
RE: Limit quantity of nested quotes - by bplus - 07-03-2024, 08:20 PM
RE: Limit quantity of nested quotes - by Pete - 07-03-2024, 10:25 PM