Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poly Blaster - a physics-based ball blasting game!
I suddenly got the urge to dip my toe back into QB64pe for a bit of fun and put together a little physics-based game. It's based on what is now a fairly common concept but it was really enjoyable to code!

The game premise is simple. Fire balls at the polygons and destroy them before they reach the top of the screen. There are some bonus targets to pick up which perform the following -
  • Create new ball
  • Create two new balls
  • Double ball power
  • Shrink ball
  • Grow ball
Because it features lots of rotating and scaling sprites I decided to dabble with OpenGL. I should mention that I haven't touched OpenGL for many years so was basically picking it back up from scratch. The game code is a good standard but the rendering code leaves a lot to be desired! I was going to go back over it and modernise it and make it far more performant but it works fine as it is so that's a task for another day.

[Image: demo.gif] This is a GIF showing game play (if you click on it)

[Image: Screenshot.png] Simple screen shot showing some ball-blasting fun!

The ZIP file contains poly-blast bas along with a subfolder called assets which contains all the sound effects, graphics, etc. After building the project, the EXE must reside in the same folder as the BAS file. It accesses the assets folder relatively so won't find it if the EXE is in the wrong place.

.zip   poly-blaster.zip (Size: 877.72 KB / Downloads: 16)

You can get the latest version, report bugs, etc at GitHub where you can also find some of my other QB64pe projects (Scramble, Galaga, etc). If you have a mind to improve it (especially the OpenGL rendering) then feel free to fork and send a pull request!

Hope you enjoy!

Messages In This Thread
Poly Blaster - a physics-based ball blasting game! - by RokCoder - Yesterday, 10:39 AM