Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BASIC's Comparison Matrix: ideas for content?
(05-22-2022, 05:52 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: Not saying it can't be done, but BASIC as an alternative to javascript (or other) for scripting on the web, I'm not sure how feasible that is.

I think where it breaks down is that the DOM is an object model, and QB64 ain't OO.
Apart from that one giant disconnect, the difference between BASIC and JavaScript is mainly syntax.

(05-22-2022, 05:52 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: The farthest I've taken BASIC scripting for TiddlyWiki: 
TiddlyWiki put something in browser local/session storage; 
BASIC program running in iframe acts on whatever TiddlyWiki put in local/session storage;
BASIC program puts results in local/session storage;
TiddlyWiki gets whatever BASIC program put in local/session storage.
That works great, but isn't the traditional kind of client-side scripting we find in web pages.

So you're saying that BASIC is limited in outputting results to TiddlyWiki via session storage?
I'm not sure I see an issue there. As long as BASIC can create & read tiddlers, draw stuff to the screen,
and accept I/O from a keyboard/mouse, it's good to go.
Unless you're talking about enabling it to communicate over the network via sockets?

(05-22-2022, 05:52 PM)CharlieJV Wrote: Then there's the kind of scripting that happens (CGI-scripting) on the web server side.  That is way out of my pay band.

Well, if the QB64PE team adds commands for HTTP(S), the server-side CGI scripting could be done by desktop QB64...

Messages In This Thread
RE: BASIC's Comparison Matrix: ideas for content? - by madscijr - 07-14-2022, 06:39 PM