Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"EXE has stopped working ..."
Thank you for the responses. I did "solve" the problem but I want to reply to you both first.

To SMcNeill:
                    It would not be beneficial to give the source code since the programs require a specific directory structure and data files to execute properly. Also, what turned out to be the offending program is probably around 4000 lines long.

To mdijkens:

A bit of background on the programs would be useful here:

I started developing a "suite" of interrelated programs starting in the mid 80's. Because of QB program size restrictions I used $INCLUDE often as well as compiling multiple .BAS modules at into a single EXE.

The result has been about 60+ fairly large BAS programs compiled into around 40+ EXEs all using CHAIN (to go to other modules) for COMMON variables. I will probably be changing that.

To see if converting to QB64 was a job I wanted to tackle I "converted" 3 programs enough to run. So to your point, trying to combine them (all 60+) into one module was a thought I had but there are so many overlapping labels and line numbers as well as contradictory/reused variable names that I would give up if that was the only route.

--->
Now as to the original reason for this thread, after much insertion of my own debugging code and many recompilings of the larger of the 3 programs I was able to narrow the cause of the error down to several lines of code:

FIELD #10, 80 AS LG$
also
GET #1, rn
and perhaps I will still find others.

Strangely I didn't get the error every time one of these lines was executed.

If I REM these lines the error disappears completely. So it had something to do the the file I/O or access.
I rewrote some code before these lines which OPENed the file, unREMed the offending lines, and now it works fine.

I don't know why I didn't just get a more specific RUN TIME I/O error with error line # instead of the generic and extremely unhelpful Windows "program stopped responding" message.

Again, thanks for the replies. Will probably post more questions later.

A

Messages In This Thread
"EXE has stopped working ..." - by arnoldhf - 07-16-2022, 03:50 PM
RE: "EXE has stopped working ..." - by bplus - 07-16-2022, 04:44 PM
RE: "EXE has stopped working ..." - by arnoldhf - 07-16-2022, 09:36 PM
RE: "EXE has stopped working ..." - by SMcNeill - 07-16-2022, 10:12 PM
RE: "EXE has stopped working ..." - by mdijkens - 07-17-2022, 07:20 AM
RE: "EXE has stopped working ..." - by arnoldhf - 07-17-2022, 02:34 PM
RE: "EXE has stopped working ..." - by mdijkens - 07-17-2022, 03:18 PM