Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost the ultimate QB64 challenge: build a custom desktop environment !
[edited to use the correct term "desktop environment" instead of "shell", although making a shell could also be part of the challenge]

All this talk of Linux distros had me curious - has anybody ever tried making an operating system in QB64 or QuickBasic? I assume not, as most OSes have to be coded in a low level language like assembly or C that gives sufficient control and speed that other applications can run on top of. And then we have to worry about device drivers and all of that. Probably a non-starter! But that would probably be the ultimate challenge for any language, especially QB64. 

HOWEVER, what about a custom desktop environment that runs on top of an OS? Linux has desktops like Gnome, Microsoft Windows upto version 3.1 and NT4 that ran on top of DOS, etc. I'm curious if anyone has attempted this in QB64? Being that QB64 runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux, it could be an interesting project to make a front end that runs on all 3, making them look and behave identically...

Messages In This Thread
Almost the ultimate QB64 challenge: build a custom desktop environment ! - by madscijr - 08-18-2022, 12:15 PM