Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant
Given this new clean slate fresh start, I envision this as a place to repost some of my programs and/or links from the old forum. Maybe someone can get some ideas, or at least be amused by my random toddlings. Keeping things neat and contained in one thread to reduce clutter on the new forum.

This first one is my passion/obsession, years in the crafting and stumbling, which has grown in scope and support files/directories beyond just posting a code block. Made possible by QB64 as QBasic/4.5 just couldn't do it. While mostly still a work in progress, it's complete enough to call a "program".

CT Vector, is my turn based space flight vector tracker, a utility attempting to rescue the old Traveller RPG tabletop spaceship combat rules from obscurity. Likely no one who plays the game cares as no one bothered to use them for long, but I always wanted this sort of tool back in the day, and thought it would work, so I wrote one anyway. I'm funny that way...Wink Even used it over the holidays, with somewhat mixed results. Many of the coding concepts I regularly use arose out of this mess, and many folks here will find their influence in it too.

A gamemaster can create and edit stellar systems [sysinput042.bas], whereupon the players can fly spacecraft through them. The system creator is still rather cryptic to use with some knowledge of the game and its canon concepts being helpful, but it does function with a few minor boogers. In lieu of that the tracker will default to the Sol system for demo purposes and the editor ap can be skipped. That's the easiest way to just "play around" with it. There are a couple of other systems included in the systems\ directory. I give a big "thank you" to Spriggsy for his pipecom API for making the loading process much more intuitive.

The tracker [CTvector052.bas] models game rules and is in no way an actual astrophysics or gravity simulator. "Damn it Jim, I'm a farmer, not an astrophysicist!" That said, large planets will attract nearby ships, so you gotta keep 'em flying or they'll crash. It can also take maneuvers to 3D, and resize and zoom in/out, which tabletop plotting could not do. Dates can optionally be input to track planetary ephemeris as the planets will move dynamically during play.

It's been a very long time since I posted any updates to it. My pièce de la résistance, which I have moved to Github. I added some OS metacommands to (hopefully) allow it to skip those commands that are not supported in Mac and Linux. Maybe it will run under those platforms now as well, with only a slight loss in mouse functionality. If anyone does try that, I'd appreciate a shout as to how it went.

In the tracker application, left click actuates controls, while right click & hold opens a context bubble explaining the controls function and hotkey access or moves ships in the sensor display. There is a badly "dated" user guide pdf included.

https://github.com/OldMoses/CT-Vector
DO: LOOP: DO: LOOP
sha_na_na_na_na_na_na_na_na_na:

Messages In This Thread
OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by OldMoses - 04-24-2022, 09:00 PM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by Dimster - 04-24-2022, 10:33 PM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by OldMoses - 04-25-2022, 12:59 AM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by Dimster - 04-25-2022, 02:09 PM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by OldMoses - 04-27-2022, 10:42 AM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by bplus - 04-27-2022, 12:40 PM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by OldMoses - 04-27-2022, 12:55 PM
RE: OldMoses' Ark of the Codenant - by bplus - 04-27-2022, 01:46 PM