Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser
It's time for etude extraordinaire - the work of Mr.Krauss - the inventor of FASTEST wildcard matching.

Until last night, was not aware how ahead etudes of wildcard matching have gone, first I found the superb webpage of Dogan Kurt, he in a nutshell did all, acknowledging the previous works, offering a benchmark, and offering the second fastest function.
https://dogankurt.com/wildcard.html

I took his 'wildtest' benchmark and added Jack Handy's, Alessandro Cantatore and Mr.Krauss' functions, and my Tcheburaschka (based on the work of Alessandro).

The test machine's specifications are the following:
I compiled them with MinGW gcc version 11.3.0 with -O3 flag, also with CLANG 14.0.1 and Intel's ICL 19.0.0, both with -O3.

We have 87 test patterns and 95 test strings; this combination makes 8265 unique pattern-string pairs.
We repeat calls 1,000,000 times to get a better time resolution, and therefore every function's called 8,265,000,000 times.
You can download the sourcecode and the three binaries (just enter the console prompt and run '3.bat') here:

.zip   WILDTEST_wildcard_benchmark_Dogan_Kurt_modified_by_Kaze.zip (Size: 353.74 KB / Downloads: 253)

.pdf   Tcheburaschka_r3.pdf (Size: 829.64 KB / Downloads: 77)

It takes a can of beer to contemplate and discern what-is-what, the fluctuations across compilers are scary. Yet, Mr.Krauss kicks asses left and right. My hat is off to him.

Thanks a lot, Mr.Krauss, for inspirational work of yours. It is both superuseful and really eye-opening how unappreciated the SPEED/CRAFTSMANSHIP is.
"He learns not to learn and reverts to what the masses pass by."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser - by Sanmayce - 11-29-2022, 01:03 AM