Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser
HiĀ TDarcos.

> In case no one else has said so, thank you for having created this, and for making it publicly available.

Thank you for recognizing what one real amateur stands for. Sharing is a key thing, returning the favor (of other coders sharing their experience) is by paying not back but paying forward (as in the movie). To me, amateurism is the very basis for building something exciting. Constantly being aware of one's own lack-of-mastery (while loving the craft) is a very powerful driving force that won't disappoint, never. On contrary, every little step on the way brings joy. For example, this night I added SIMD counting at 10GB/s (written by the awesome Hamid - the author of LzTurbo, BWTSatan and more superb state-of-the-art tools) of LF characters within a block - quite a nasty drag/break in performance when one has to know apriori how much lines are there in order to allocate the needed memory.

> Have F1 open a pop-up window showing what keys do what things, i.e. a cheat sheet. If F1 is in use, pick a different button and have the program say which one it is.

Indeed, this initial "cheat sheet" has to be put in a dedicated help screen. Simply, Dirwalker is in its infancy, many things are to be implemented, refined and described. Currently, wanna write browsing/sorting/searching the physical lines of 20++ GB textual files, the tweak I wanna play with, is a transparent recoding of lines shown to the window, in order to read German/Italian/French/Spanish/Russian... within 256 symbols encoding. In a month, hope to share the revision doing that.

> Having a copy of your work on Github protects you if something goes wrong.

I appreciate your suggestion, surely Github is a very useful platform for sharing/maintaining, yet, my habits are hard to break, kinda got used to the chaotic ways of old.

> If I think of other suggestions, I'll offer them, if you don't mind.

Please do, always good ideas are hidden behind untold ... ideas, that is, they give way to one another - beget new functionalities.
"He learns not to learn and reverts to what the masses pass by."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirwalker - Simplistic and Ergonomic Directory Browser - by Sanmayce - 01-22-2023, 06:22 AM