Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pipecom on 3.9x verions of QB64
Hallo! to all...

I would like to point out that the excellent "pipecom" routine of Spriggsy does not work with versions >= 3.90 of QB64 (the functions do not give any results but with the old versions of QB64 you get all the information you want).

I've almost destroyed a program [Image: confused.png] in search of the bug only to find out that it depends (I would say with reasonable confidence) on the compiler.

Can I hope that a solution will be found to this problem? Routine is almost indispensable...

I attach the test file (compiled in 3.8x work, in 3.9x doesn't work).

Thank You!

____
Also posted in the spriggy forum to inform Spriggsy  directly (I hope it's not a problem to have duplicated the post)

Attached Files
.bas   prova_pipe.bas (Size: 2.2 KB / Downloads: 51)
.bas   _$_pipecom.bas (Size: 7.65 KB / Downloads: 62)
I'm going to need more details. Like if you are on Windows, Mac, or Linux and if you are on 32 bit or 64 bit.
Tread on those who tread on you

(11-14-2023, 08:10 PM)krovit Wrote: Hallo! to all...

I would like to point out that the excellent "pipecom" routine of Spriggsy does not work with versions >= 3.90 of QB64 (the functions do not give any results but with the old versions of QB64 you get all the information you want).

I've almost destroyed a program [Image: confused.png] in search of the bug only to find out that it depends (I would say with reasonable confidence) on the compiler.

Can I hope that a solution will be found to this problem? Routine is almost indispensable...

I attach the test file (compiled in 3.8x work, in 3.9x doesn't work).

Thank You!

____
Also posted in the spriggy forum to inform Spriggsy  directly (I hope it's not a problem to have duplicated the post)

Could be when you updated your QB64pe folder you didn't also copy your header files for Pipecom.
It's also possible you don't need the following anymore? but then why no workie?

I found these in my QB64pe v3.6 folder:

Attached Files
.h   pipecom.h (Size: 461 bytes / Downloads: 48)
.bm   pipecom.bm (Size: 7.68 KB / Downloads: 41)
b = b + ...
@bplus , I think you must have put those in your folder yourself. The header version of pipecom is very old.

(11-14-2023, 08:45 PM)SpriggsySpriggs Wrote: @bplus , I think you must have put those in your folder yourself. The header version of pipecom is very old.

How 'bout the .BM? At one point early on that's what we had to do.
b = b + ...
It eventually all moved to a one file system. If the BM references the header file then it, too, is old.

So your pipecom does work fine in v3.9 (or you haven't updated yet, I haven't.)
b = b + ...
I can't say that I'm confirming the issue because I'm running my Windows version of QB64pe in Wine, but I will say it did work before but is currently not working in 3.9.1. Pretty sure it's something that would have changed with QB64pe itself, but I wouldn't know what. Would probably need Matt or Samuel to take a peek.

The failure might start in ReadFile. I've done all the debugging I'm going to do right now. I don't know what broke it.
[Image: shoulder-shrug.gif]

Ok, I lied. I did a bit more debugging by moving all the external function declarations to a dynamic library block and got the same results. Oh well.