Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestion: create a custom puppy linux distro that includes QB64PE out of the box
I am NOT a Linux or a Puppy Linux guru, but I am drawn to the idea of an self-contained OS that runs on a thumb drive, and comes prepackaged and preconfigured with a set of software to do a certain job (e.g., play emulated games, for artists, video production, robotics, etc.)

A Puppy Linux "QB64PE" distro would be pretty cool, especially for people who might be interested in testing their QB64PE programs in Linux but don't have the knowhow / time / patience to dive into Linux proper.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this link with anyone inclined to explore spinning off their own Linux distro... 

PS Along those lines, there is at least one Puppy Linux distro - RasPup - made to run on Raspberry Pi. 
A Raspberry Pi QB64PE distro would be pretty neat & useful!

Some reading:
If this gives someone a cool project to jump into, great. 
If not, I won't lose any sleep, just thought I'd share that idea...
Interesting idea, I like!
b = b + ...
I have nothing with Linux, but to test my software under Linux, I created a docker CentOS with QB64PE and a VirtualBox with MacOS & QB64PE
The only thing I do there is compile and test
45y and 2M lines of MBASIC>BASICA>QBASIC>QBX>QB64 experience
(02-01-2024, 02:48 PM)mdijkens Wrote: I have nothing with Linux, but to test my software under Linux, I created a docker CentOS with QB64PE and a VirtualBox with MacOS & QB64PE
Thanks for your reply!

I'm not too familiar with docker or centos. I'm really just interested in simply downloading a Puppy distro, installing it on a thumb drive, and done.

I know VirtualBox but how do you install MacOS on it? Do you need to buy a license? It would be cool to also be able to test on MacOS!

Thanks again!
Forget Linux and forgot MacOS! Especially MacOs. It is only a Linux that cost many money. Apple ist for user they have forgotten her brain. Excuse me! But the truth was and is never nice.

In political attitudes there is ideology, but in technical matters there should be no ideology. That should be free of ideology! Is not it. But it should be.

Choose the system that works best . . . for you - without ideology. It is a computer system only. Not more!
(02-01-2024, 08:16 PM)madscijr Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 02:48 PM)mdijkens Wrote: I have nothing with Linux, but to test my software under Linux, I created a docker CentOS with QB64PE and a VirtualBox with MacOS & QB64PE
Thanks for your reply!

I'm not too familiar with docker or centos. I'm really just interested in simply downloading a Puppy distro, installing it on a thumb drive, and done.

I know VirtualBox but how do you install MacOS on it? Do you need to buy a license? It would be cool to also be able to test on MacOS!

Thanks again!
I'm not familiar with all these technologies either. Have to have them because customers have them.
For me it was mainly following youtube tutorials until succeeded.
No, I did not need a MacOS license; found a video how to do it
45y and 2M lines of MBASIC>BASICA>QBASIC>QBX>QB64 experience
I made once a remaster of Puppy with tool called Woofy
booting directly from USB...but because of my lack of knowledge about
doing some changes i made remaster with old Haiku style of icons and that sucks.
My idea was the same ..having small fast linux for testing qb64 and FreeBasic and maybe
Gambas programs...that was all
what i don't like about puppy was forced JWM or ROX -filer
both kind of sucks and are very primitive..
would be nice to have normal LXDE which is not resource hungry.
(02-02-2024, 11:18 AM)aurel Wrote: what i don't like about puppy was forced JWM or ROX -filer
both kind of sucks and are very primitive..
would be nice to have normal LXDE which is not resource hungry.
I think there are Puppy versions with LXDE, see here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=puppy+linux%C2%A0LXDE
I've thought once or twice about doing something similar.   I thought about starting with Puppy, or maybe TinyCore.

I've never actually tried that (at least not yet) because I don't have much free drive space ATM, and didn't want to get up to my armpits in what may turn out to be a large project.

If Puppy is not ideal for you, tools exist which simplify the job of making a custom Linux distro from a variety of "big" Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, Open SUSE, etc).