Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally some good Windows 10 news to share.

Well hot diggity dog **** doo! 

After next year, no more annoying Windows f'updates!!!

Pete Smile
Yep.  Starting next year, you'll begin getting endless pop-ups to upgrade to 11... buy a new system at 30% off -- with 11 installed... and then start hearing all the hype about Win 12 -- which your new PC won't be able to run without buying various updated hardware first!
That will probably be the case, but that damn little app won't hog the amount of resources like Update Orchestrator. When I find my system is slowing down, I just task kill that little bastard along with, update, and push notifications. Bang, no more waiting. I've never had my system messed up by killing these processes.

Pete
Yes, but apparently, reading comments on the MS forum, MS has relented on their oh-so-stringent requirements for Windows 11. Looks like now they will accept TPM 1.2 or 1.3, or whatever the version before TPM 2.0, the same not-so-difficult other hardware requirements as before, and therefore a broader set of CPU generations. For example, I think that now, users with 4th generation Intel Core processors can successfully upgrade to Windows 11.

Not much advertised, but it might be worth a shot, if you have one of these older machines.

Of course, that begs the question why the h___ MS felt obliged to be such a pain in the ASCII about this in the first place. My guess has always been, force people to buy new PCs because that will force them to buy a new Windows package. It would have been better to just charge people some nominal fee for the upgrade, for heaven's sake.

https://woshub.com/upgrade-to-windows-11...ported-pc/

(I've been using Windows 11 ever since it was in beta testing for Insiders, and it's really pretty good. I have absolutely no nostalgic attachment to Windows 10 or any previous version.)
I'm on that page and raise you the possibility that MS had in mind a future of leasing us everything. Maybe projects like Linux, Firefox, and the like put a permanent dent in that dream. I deleted One-Drive from my system. I can't imagine not even being able to store my own data on my own computer in the future.

I don't even like sharing. I'm quitting this Cloud Sharing service as we speak because a shared client is busy chewing up all my resources!

Pete

- Hey Hugh, get off of my cloud!
(07-11-2024, 11:18 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: Yep.  Starting next year, you'll begin getting endless pop-ups to upgrade to 11... buy a new system at 30% off -- with 11 installed... and then start hearing all the hype about Win 12 -- which your new PC won't be able to run without buying various updated hardware first!

Or he could just upgrade to Window 7 Pro 64bit and live in peaceful bliss as I do. It amazingly runs just fine and 99.9% of software (minus new AAA games of course) runs just fine on it. Best part, hackers don't consider your OS interesting and Microsoft has no idea you are running it after running Tronscript on it and having all telemetry updates removed that Microsoft tried to sneak in.

And for even more great news, Windows 7 won't work on GEN 7 and above CPUs. You can pick up used GEN 6 computers for practically nothing. I'm running an i7 6700K with 32GB of RAM. Fast, furious, free from crap.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
It seems to me that Micro$oft's current CEO is all about getting regular revenue streams from selling Software as a Service (SaaS).

Windows 11 is one step in introducing the new revenue model and making architectural changes to Windows that will support the new model.
(07-12-2024, 03:04 AM)JRace Wrote: It seems to me that Micro$oft's current CEO is all about getting regular revenue streams from selling Software as a Service (SaaS).

Windows 11 is one step in introducing the new revenue model and making architectural changes to Windows that will support the new model.
Yep, and that will be its downfall. It's a shame, Windows 7 is what Windows could be today ... stable and usable without the big brother aspect. I have Linux on another i7 6700K system that will be my go to machine when I simply can't use Windows 7 any longer. As much as I want to love Linux though it's hard to. Linux is not nearly as polished and ready for desktop as many claim it to be. Don't get me wrong, it's powerful, just not very friendly to fix when something goes wrong. The other problem is as I get older I simply don't want to track down and repair issues. It was fun when I was younger, now it just annoys me.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial
I honestly think what Microsoft is shooting for, long-term, is hardware-free computing.  You basically pay them to host your computer in the cloud, stream to your TV, and all you need is a mouse/keyboard to interact with it.  All you'd have to do is basically carry a small keyboard with trackpad attached (similar to what goes with most tablets nowadays), and you could take your "PC" anywhere and cast it to any device you wanted.

...Gods!  Just think about it gives me the shivers, but it's really not that far fetched!  It's basically how I control the PC I have hooked up to my TV all the time -- that old laptop is over in the corner, dust covered and forgotten, on 24/7/365.25.  All I keep is a bluetooth trackball and keyboard over near my recliner/couch, and generally, all I need to do is use the trackball to scroll to click to various streaming serivices to watch different shows, or listen to music, or browse some wiki that I'm interested in.  I don't think I've actually interacted with that laptop's hardware in years, except to reboot it, or such, when it locks up completely on me for whatever reason.

I hate the thought of remote PCing, but I honestly imagine it's going to become the norm in the next 20+ years.
(07-12-2024, 07:25 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: I honestly think what Microsoft is shooting for, long-term, is hardware-free computing.  You basically pay them to host your computer in the cloud, stream to your TV, and all you need is a mouse/keyboard to interact with it.  All you'd have to do is basically carry a small keyboard with trackpad attached (similar to what goes with most tablets nowadays), and you could take your "PC" anywhere and cast it to any device you wanted.

...Gods!  Just think about it gives me the shivers, but it's really not that far fetched!  It's basically how I control the PC I have hooked up to my TV all the time -- that old laptop is over in the corner, dust covered and forgotten, on 24/7/365.25.  All I keep is a bluetooth trackball and keyboard over near my recliner/couch, and generally, all I need to do is use the trackball to scroll to click to various streaming serivices to watch different shows, or listen to music, or browse some wiki that I'm interested in.  I don't think I've actually interacted with that laptop's hardware in years, except to reboot it, or such, when it locks up completely on me for whatever reason.

I hate the thought of remote PCing, but I honestly imagine it's going to become the norm in the next 20+ years.

Can you tell your laptop to let the cat/dog in or out? Turn on the leccy blanket? Make coffee? Seems like it can do everything else!  Big Grin
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/