Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally some good Windows 10 news to share.
(07-12-2024, 01:23 AM)Pete Wrote: I deleted One-Drive from my system. I can't imagine not even being able to store my own data on my own computer in the future.

It is only a backup system. Not meant to replace your hard drive, just mirror the contents.
Tread on those who tread on you

I imagine AI will change the way people compute at home in the future too. The last mobile tech conference was very eye-opening.  Most cell phone companies are working on an AI phone where you won’t have any apps on your phone anymore, it’s all AI and in the cloud. Can see that method spilling over to general computing easy. Subscription based computing is more profitable no doubt.

I’m with Terry, Windows 7 is a great version.  I stayed with it so long because it worked so well.  I still only have windows 7, and linux, on my laptops.

Recently got a used thinkpad t470s for $110 in mint condition with two good batteries.  It had windows 10 or 11 on it. (Didn’t even use it long enough to know which it was). Installed Linux mint and a windows 7 virtual machine in it, So pleased with this setup. Best of both worlds. Not going to upgrade to windows 11.

- Dav

Find my programs here in Dav's QB64 Corner
(07-12-2024, 07:25 AM)SMcNeill Wrote: I honestly think what Microsoft is shooting for, long-term, is hardware-free computing.

Agreed.  Most people don't want a computer; they just want a no-hassle appliance that lets them check email, shop, socialize, etc, and that's the way things have been headed all along.

Home computers started out as user-assembled boxes that were interacted with via mysterious switches and blinkenlights.  They have gotten more user-friendly over the years, but the true computing appliance stage is still just around the corner.

That's for the next generation as far as I'm concerned.  I'm glad I have my boxes.

(07-12-2024, 09:26 AM)PhilOfPerth Wrote: Can you tell your laptop to let the cat/dog in or out? Turn on the leccy blanket? Make coffee? Seems like it can do everything else!  Big Grin

The answer is "Yes" to almost all of these. Big Grin

With Smart-devices, all of those are simple things to connect to your wifi and have Alexa, Siri, or Google control for you. Smile

Cat/Dog door: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SLTETG
Electric Blanket: https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Connected...B08X1DMDZG
Coffee Maker: https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach%C2...B09WW5691Q

"Alexa, fix my damn coffee," may be my favorite thing about the mornings. Big Grin
I tried "Alexa, make me a damn ham sandwich," to which it replied, "I can't do that Pete, you'd have to be a pig to make you into a ham sandwich." Then I got really pissed when it paused for a second and said, "Coming right up." Big Grin

@SpriggsySpriggs

My understanding is One-Drive is cloud storage. That makes it the foot in the door model to get a lot of users used to future subscription services. I never created an MS account, so I'm assuming I didn't have access, but I'm similar to Terry in that is something is on my system I don't want. I remove it.

@Dav

I also have a Windows 7 laptop, but rarely run it because of its age. I was my favorite OS of all times.

Pete
I have an account with MS and have been using OneDrive, standard 5GB, for about 15 years.

My most important data is backed up three times: on the external HD (automatically every day), on a USB stick, and the really important data are additionally backed up on OneDrive, packed and encrypted. - One Drive is OK.
OneDrive has multiple settings.  There's an OPTION in it for "Sync your files to this PC", which downloads the files from the cloud and keeps them on your local drive.

"Otherwise, check the individual folders you wish to sync and uncheck any folders you do not want synced. Any folders you leave unchecked will remain on OneDrive but will be removed from your current PC."

You have to tell it you want your friggin files to stay local; else they go up into the cloud and you lose access to them without an internet connection.

You'd never believe how much crap I've lost with that dumb ass design! One PC syncs this... another doesn't... let's clean it from this one, as it's backed up on the other... WTF?? OneDrive cleaned it off both -- even the NOT synced one?? WTF do you mean a Winblows update altered those settings automatically, without telling me?

WTF did I ever try and use OneDrive??

Now all my crap backs up to my home network drive, while staying on my local PCs, and I only toss crap up on OneDrive manually, to share via links on forums and such.

Most evil, worthless, shitty app MS puts out there, in my opinion. /blarf!
Quote:There's an OPTION in it for "Sync your files to this PC", which downloads the files from the cloud and keeps them on your local drive.
Ha, ha, ha, yes, one shouldn't do that.  Tongue  I have been offered that countless times - no, it's far too dangerous.
Steve, is that all? Hell, I just had a f'update that changed my Desktop wallpaper!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin I'm re-papering as we speak. Dammit, now my screen's all gooey. Shut up Vince!!!

I also recommend not using MS preinstalled folders like 'Documents' to store anything important. F'updates fups with those folders on most of the major updates.

I think a lot of folks here are independent types. As long as everyone agrees with that assessment, we're fine. Wink

Oh, for any aspiring communists out there, let me non-kiddingly interject that the Star Trek government only exists on the Sci-Fi Network. In real life, communism is a system of oligarchs who grab all the wealth and power then divvy up what's left to the disempowered masses. But they have elections you say? Well, those elections are rigged; just ask Navalny... oh wait, you can't, he's dead.

Pete
(07-12-2024, 07:38 PM)Pete Wrote: just ask Navalny... oh wait, you can't, he's dead.

Pete
Now they have an arrest warrant out for his wife too. Putin is a grade A ASCII Hole.
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.
QB64 Tutorial