Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IDE almost flatlines 4 of 4 cpus - linux - any cure?
Hello everyone,

It's been quite some time since I last posted on QB64PE Forum. I'm so glad that you kind folks have continued QB64. Greetings from Vientiane, Laos.   

I've installed and compiled the Linux version on my Linux Mint box. When I run the ISE, it almost flatlines 4 of 4 cpus. This makes things a bit sluggish.

Is there a way to restrict operation to 1 or 2 cpus at most?

Many thanks,   Smile
desA
Quote:When I run the IDE, it almost flatlines 4 of 4 cpus.
I would say it's because of the Linux system. I know a German Mint forum where you could ask whether others have had or still have similar problems.

Linux Mint-Forum
(07-27-2024, 01:22 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote:
Quote:When I run the IDE, it almost flatlines 4 of 4 cpus.
I would say it's because of the Linux system. I know a German Mint forum where you could ask whether others have had or still have similar problems.

Linux Mint-Forum
Thanks very much for your reply.   Smile

Interestingly, I can now report back as follows - for the same version of Linux mint - on 2 different machines:
1. Xeon 4 cpu server - uses all 4 cpus to near flatline (> 85%).
2. Intel i7-7500 laptop - not a problem.

Weird... I'll investigate further on the Linux Mint Forum to see what else I can find. I tried to use Taskset to limit to specific cpu's - but no difference on the Xeon box.
My Linux Mint runs slow as Dickns as well, but it is on old dinosaur laptop in desparate need of SSD drive which did wonderful magic with present laptop, it can upload Windows in under 5 minutes! less that 5 secs possibly!

Even though my dinosaur runs anything slow it does seem to do alright with past versions of QB65pe running the exe's made in Linux.
b = b + ...
@desA - If it's not too much work, then try openSuSE. SuSE was actually always the most solid distro. It came from Germany also after all!  Tongue

The decline began with the introduction of the half-finished Plasma; that was a mistake. In the meantime, SuSE has worked its way back to its old solidity. At least that's what you can read in local Linux magazines such as Linux Magazin.  --  Old Magazines

openSUSE Distributions
If your maxing out cpu then try starting qb64pe with "nice".  (use man nice at the command line if your not familiar with it first).
(07-27-2024, 10:18 PM)ahenry3068 Wrote: If your maxing out cpu then try starting qb64pe with "nice".  (use man nice at the command line if your not familiar with it first).
Thank for that. Nice definitely lowers the dominance of the IDE and makes it more reactive - although all 4 cpus still operate.

I notice that, when compiling, all the load then goes to a single cpu. Weird.

Something in the IDE code may need a parameter tweak, I suspect.
I eventually installed the latest version of Lubuntu on an old notebook, and set up qb64pe there.

Runs smoothly.

I suspect that perhaps the old Xeon power/thermal management, or even a kernel clash, may have bee the cause on the HP Proliant server. Who knows.