Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a TON of source code and projects archived from PlanetSourceCode.com
(09-04-2022, 06:57 AM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 12:22 AM)Jack Wrote: I got 3 more links for you
https://github.com/robhagemans/hoard-of-gwbasic
https://github.com/robhagemans/basicode
https://github.com/geneb/QuickPakScientific
I acquired the PC-BASIC emulation primarily for the "Hoard of GW-BASIC" and the Tandy graphics programs. But I have to get into Windows for it which sucks these days...

Are you totally Linux then? 
For anything old just use DOS Box or emulation.
Here one can download all versions of Visual Basic: Visual Basic 1.0 - 6.0
(09-04-2022, 06:54 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Here one can download all versions of Visual Basic: Visual Basic 1.0 - 6.0

Thanks for sharing that! 

I know we have FreeBasic, but I just wish someone would update the existing VB6 to be fully compatible with 64-bit Windows 10+, and compile programs to native 64-bit EXEs. VB6 was just so EASY. MS .NET, on the other hand, meh.
(09-04-2022, 07:08 PM)madscijr Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 06:54 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote: Here one can download all versions of Visual Basic: Visual Basic 1.0 - 6.0

Thanks for sharing that! 

I know we have FreeBasic, but I just wish someone would update the existing VB6 to be fully compatible with 64-bit Windows 10+, and compile programs to native 64-bit EXEs. VB6 was just so EASY. MS .NET, on the other hand, meh.
If not QB64, I'd rather have Freebasic than ancient M$VB. Having that ancient software is pointless. It sort of contradicts myself because I want to run music software from 2002 but might soon be unable to do so...

"Someone" could update VB6? LOL... but why? So that becomes harder? When ReactOS is finally ready (in five years, I think not) could run VB6 on that system.

I cared to acquire PC-BASIC for Windows only because I'm running out of ways to be entertained if I didn't boot into Fedora 36 XFCE instead. Only on the latter-named OS I could have the web browser that I want (but I want something else actually) and not the browser M$ wants and not that other "popular" one which isn't to my taste, I'm going to put it that way. Once in a while I boot into Windows on the same exact 10-year-old computer with slow-ass HDD, that I'm actually using Fedora Linux instead and writing this message to you.

I'm not Linux-only, I wish I could get that way but there are some things I cannot yet give up Windows for. I've just revealed two of them: the first paragraph just above, and my avatar.
Quote:If not QB64, I'd rather have Freebasic than ancient M$VB.

This M$.. always reminds me of the old days in the @Heise forum; more than 20 years ago. This was a real battle zone!

Linux and Maccis against Windows. Windows and Maccis against Linux. Linux and Windows against Maccis. A System World War. At the time, I thought it was good. Warhammer out and on it. One could really relax mentally after university.  Tongue

[Image: MS-Linux-Mac.jpg]
(09-04-2022, 07:21 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 07:08 PM)madscijr Wrote:

Thanks for sharing that! 

If not QB64, I'd rather have Freebasic than ancient M$VB. Having that ancient software is pointless. It sort of contradicts myself because I want to run music software from 2002 but might soon be unable to do so...

"Someone" could update VB6? LOL... but why? So that becomes harder? When ReactOS is finally ready (in five years, I think not) could run VB6 on that system.

I cared to acquire PC-BASIC for Windows only because I'm running out of ways to be entertained if I didn't boot into Fedora 36 XFCE instead. Only on the latter-named OS I could have the web browser that I want (but I want something else actually) and not the browser M$ wants and not that other "popular" one which isn't to my taste, I'm going to put it that way. Once in a while I boot into Windows on the same exact 10-year-old computer with slow-ass HDD, that I'm actually using Fedora Linux instead and writing this message to you.

I'm not Linux-only, I wish I could get that way but there are some things I cannot yet give up Windows for. I've just revealed two of them: the first paragraph just above, and my avatar.

I think we all have different strengths and interests. If you are into stuff like ReactOS and Linux and C, that's great. That ain't my wheelhouse, not even close! QB64 is closer to VB6 than the stuff you're into, at least for me. I loved VB6, and love VBA, and find C, C++ and .NET painful. You are way more advanced than I will ever be, hats off to you!
Quote:I think we all have different strengths and interests.

And that is very well so!
Quote:You are way more advanced than I will ever be, hats off to you!

No flatterys! I don't think I know more about programming than you do.

So, now we've smeared honey around each other's mouths  Big Grin - how about a good drink now? I like Portwine and hot music to go with it.  bplus like she too  Tongue :

(09-04-2022, 09:13 PM)Kernelpanic Wrote:
Quote:You are way more advanced than I will ever be, hats off to you!

No flatterys! I don't think I know more about programming than you do.

So, now we've smeared honey around each other's mouths  Big Grin - how about a good drink now? I like Portwine and hot music to go with it.  bplus like she too  Tongue :

Cheers! 
I'll have a Guinness and your girl can cue up this record 

[Image: k57IuFjHbZc]
(09-04-2022, 08:31 PM)madscijr Wrote: I think we all have different strengths and interests. If you are into stuff like ReactOS and Linux and C, that's great. That ain't my wheelhouse, not even close! QB64 is closer to VB6 than the stuff you're into, at least for me. I loved VB6, and love VBA, and find C, C++ and .NET painful. You are way more advanced than I will ever be, hats off to you!
Sometimes you read my posts too closely. I was jiving a bit. But I don't understand why you want to run VB6, when it was put down for a reason. Not necessarily for something better for many of us. But if you want to use it again only to run a couple of programs, and very desperate to run that sine-wave/square-wave oscillator demo, which does only one thing, cannot play MIDI, cannot record what it produces, cannot do anything else with the sound etc...

I'm not into C as deeply as you might think. I used to be, in the 1990's because I decided to waste time that way. Did nothing very useful except replicate somebody else's windows for application programming in text mode, ie. looking like M$QB editor. I wanted to go much further than I did with Turbo Pascal v5.5. By the time I discovered QB64 I rarely did anything in C or C++. However I was put off so much by the bugginess of the SDL versions of QB64 that I kept using M$QB45 because I was allowed to do so on a laptop running Windows7. At the time, I did a lot of stuff just processing text files. Nothing with music and images. If it had to do with music it was fabricating a REAPER project file, creating an XML file (combined with ZIP-creation utility) toward some other music application so it could load instruments, samples and sound effect definitions and that sort of thing. Eventually that computer's HDD crashed and I was forced to use Ubuntu Studio 32-bit which left me only with Lua. No problem, I was still able to do that XML thing for a while longer. Didn't care about speed of doing things until I got fancy and got to loading, fabricating and saving one-channel wave files, discovering how fantastic Lua's tables are. Never needed C or C++ for any of that stuff. I programmed in Purebasic for about a year and the only thing it was able to do better than QB64 in my opinion was looking like other Windows applications with the GUI's, menus, dialog boxes, mouse handling etc. Doing stuff with images and music, well, it was a matter of time before QB64 grew functions that satisfied me enough instead of complicating my life further.

As usual TL;DR. Pass me the orange juice, I don't drink alcoholic beverages. :tu: