Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creeping Elegance
you know it's serious when the horizontal rule comes out
(10-11-2022, 05:38 PM)Spriggsy Wrote: Being able to play a video would be quite amazing. I think, however, it would require people installing codec packages. My Win32 video player required an installation of "K-Lite Codec Pack Full" in order to play all the different video types out there. You could possibly script out that install but I'm not sure if they have silent packages that could be ran by the setup batch file. As for HTTPS; I'm all for it. That's a fantastic idea and I love it. And having JSON would, of course, be epic. Especially since it would work hand-in-hand with HTTPS. Maybe even some sort of deserializer to turn JSON objects into TYPEs. But that would be difficult, I'm sure.

Couldn't you use a free CODEC like MMPEG that could be included with programs written to play video? This would limit the internal player to MPEG of course but it's a widely used format.
Quote:I'm all for new keywords and features added to the language. My main computer (which is 6 years old now) has plenty of power for anything added to the language. My point being that so what if the compiled size of the code gets a little bigger with each additional feature? Computers only get faster and new QB64 features can take advantage of that. If someone wants less "bloat" they can always fork the project and remove it. The use of a metacommand would be a terrible idea.

I would note that QB64 already avoids compiling in things you don't use, so generally speaking most new language features (whatever they are) won't have much of an impact on existing programs that don't make use of them. There are some exceptions if the functionality overlaps with something already in the language but that that's the general idea.
+1 to @doppler for sharing this real life story. I really enjoyed it!

A video codec like k-lite would be needed if we ever did vids. It would be fun to run a vid inside a qb64 program but there are a lot of open source video players to download and SHELL to on the Internet. Still, full control over within the programming language would allow the user to specify the frames. You could make very interesting RPGs, etc. with that type of control.

Speaking personally, I'd like it if QB64PE could do my laundry. I tried that with FreeBASIC using their -wash switch, but by the end of processing the cycle, my shorts just ended up in really batch shape.

Pete
Fake News + Phony Politicians = Real Problems