Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QBZERK doesn't work on Linux 64-bit
Bug 
I'm informing that I wanted to play the "QBZERK" on Linux. It seems to be strictly for Windows only because it compiles successfully but the executable refuses to start. Tried it just now on dead-duck Fedora 36 MATE on one computer, and on Manjaro KDE on my main 10-year-old laptop. This was all 64-bit and with QB64PE v3.3. I declined trying the "official" QB64.

It gives out an error message starting with "freeglut" then the executable name as was written at the command line, then colon and nothing afterward. Was it supposed to display the reason for the failure?

I picked up the ZIP from the "dot-rip" frozen forum but it had been sitting there in my backups for months.

I was going to post this in the thread about the game tutorials (EDIT: so much that I had to make one edit), to indicate this isn't really a big deal, no pressure requested. I'd play this game for Windows if that was intended, no problem for me.
I tried it using QB64-PE 3.3 in Ubuntu under WSL2 and it works like a charm. I do not see anything Windows specific in the code. Perhaps you should try the latest version of the code from https://www.qb64tutorial.com/games

[Image: Screenshot-2022-10-29-225530.png]
Thumbs Up 
(10-29-2022, 05:26 PM)a740g Wrote: Perhaps you should try the latest version of the code from https://www.qb64tutorial.com/games

[Image: Screenshot-2022-10-29-225530.png]
:facepalm: Something I didn't do. Thank you!
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for about a week.

I try not to use anything Windows specific when writing my games. Did you get the issue resolved? Is it working in your version of Linux after downloading the latest version of the game?
Sorry, no change for me. I just downloaded from the "Games" site and not from "dot-rip" like last time.

It must be my computer. Stay tuned because I'm going to try it on a different laptop.
I got it to work by hard-coding the "desktop" dimensions in lines 2464 and 2465, to width=1024 and height=768. This is on Manjaro KDE and QB64PE v3.4. This is a bug with "freeglut". Cannot use "_SCREENIMAGE", "_DESKTOPWIDTH" and "_DESKTOPHEIGHT".
(11-02-2022, 01:48 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: I got it to work by hard-coding the "desktop" dimensions in lines 2464 and 2465, to width=1024 and height=768. This is on Manjaro KDE and QB64PE v3.4. This is a bug with "freeglut". Cannot use "_SCREENIMAGE", "_DESKTOPWIDTH" and "_DESKTOPHEIGHT".

Ok, good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.
This might be another one of those race conditions which we sometimes see as programs start up. We used to have a ton of complaints about things such as _SCREENMOVE _MIDDLE being placed at the top of the program.

If one of you Linux guys could, try adding a _DELAY .5 into the program before the first call to _DESKTOPHEIGHT or _DESKTOPWIDTH, and see if the issue persists. It might be that we simply need to look into overhauling that multi-threading process a bit so that it'll wait for things to finish initializing and setting up properly, before tossing out invalid answers.