Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB64 and ARM processors
Quick Question.

At present is there any version of QB64 that can possibly run on an ARM processor (on some OS)?
It will require a QB64 team member dedicated for it who knows it like the back of his/her hand. This "ARM" is for portable phones and game thingies, right? Well the founder of QB64, Galleon tried his hand at it but had to learn Javascript, which was repulsive to him according to a few sources. Somebody would have to be found who could do that Javascript, or something else for those strange CPU's, and have less to do with portable stuff for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

Don't expect it anytime soon because the QB64 team (either one) doesn't offer the programming systems for profit. Also the "third-partyism" might be unavoidable.
Thanks for reply.

It was not for me to use personally - it was just mentioned somewhere else (not QB64 forums) of QB64 to run certain (very old) .BAS programs on ARM.

So, for the time being (maybe forever), safe for me to say

"At present, QB64 cannot run on any ARM or M (c/- Mac) processors"
https://www.arm.com/products/development-tools

The destiny of ARM seems to be controlled by that company.

Go to Google/Bing/DDG search box and type "arm processor programming" or "arm programming software" or something like that.

I was going to propose Spider Basic (by the creators of Purebasic) but that's also payware and quite different from QB64, and I don't know if it could support ARM processors. Might have to deal much more with Javascript than any kind of BASIC. There seems to be much more interest in mentioning architectures (Windows, Linux, Android, Rasta-P) than CPU's.

This is what it could take in the very least, at least on Rasta-P:

https://qb64phoenix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=94
We've had several folks get QB64 up and running on a Pi, which has an ARM processor. I've never had one for testing or playing around with, but from what I remember, the biggest change needed is to #define NOTX86, or something similar inside the C source and then compile. Do a search for installing on Pi, and you'll probably find what you're looking for to get things working (at least somewhat) for you. I think there may be some issues with data alignment, or some such, that would need to be tweaked, but that one define is the biggest change needed, from what I remember.
Thanks everyone for replying.

So, ARM situation is explained.

Is it still "no-go" at this time for non-Intel MAC's?
Well, sadly it depends on Apple Corp. and on ARM corporation because at least the former keeps changing stuff with every new OS release. What worked on OSX a short time ago is breaking on the later versions of MacOS because it involves their hardware, and they intend to offer everything 64-bit. As I've said, it requires a team member who actually has a Macintosh with ARM processor and who is generous and energetic enough. I said "requires" but, without him/her it's harder shooting at a fast-moving target like sometimes the QB64PE has to do for any MacOS support. So far I've seen only one user speaking up about supporting that OS but it's not for ARM. There are a few lurkers, I'm sure who must be waiting until this support magically springs up without their contribution.