Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New General Discussion Subforums
Works perfectly. When I'm not logged in I can not see these new subforums, when I am logged in I can see them and access them no problem. 

I have missed this type of forum. Once Discord came along we lost the forum for off topic. Discord is too immediate and a bit chaotic for me. I like the unhurried aspect of posting/replying on a Freedom of Speech like platform. Plus, while it's great to be posting on code issues, many times you do need to get your mind off it, and emerge yourself into something totally different just to rest the coding grey cells. 

Thanks for bring this back Steve.
(04-22-2022, 03:15 PM)Dimster Wrote: Works perfectly. When I'm not logged in I can not see these new subforums, when I am logged in I can see them and access them no problem. 

I have missed this type of forum. Once Discord came along we lost the forum for off topic. Discord is too immediate and a bit chaotic for me. I like the unhurried aspect of posting/replying on a Freedom of Speech like platform. Plus, while it's great to be posting on code issues, many times you do need to get your mind off it, and emerge yourself into something totally different just to rest the coding grey cells. 

It's also excellent for posting things like, "Guys, I'm going to be away for the next two weeks while on vacation, so don't think I'm just ignoring you and trying to piss you off."  In this new age of internet time, anyone who doesn't respond to a post/inquiry in two minutes is just being hateful!!  Forums don't work like that, as you said, and I for one am happy about that.  I too am all for the unhurried aspect of having time to go grab a cup of coffee and a sandwich, before having to instantly respond.  People just somehow seem a lot more patient when it comes to talking and socializing over a forum, than over some instant chat like Discord.  Smile
(04-22-2022, 07:53 AM)admin Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote: So, how does one get a password to either of the new subforums?

Read the first post and look at the answers to those last two questions.  You'll find the password inside the quotes.

This is just going to cause trouble. People are going to sign up only to post on either or both of the "hidden" forums. Word gets around in crazy ways.

I hope it's controlled somehow by forcing somebody to offer something related to QB64 or BASIC programming. There might have been a good reason why "Off Topic" was deleted from the other forum. It could get really bad very quickly. Generally that's why I don't like posting forums: in any forum there is always two or three persons always there and I wish they were permanently banned, I don't care how helpful or vital they had been to the community. Sadly more than ever it could include a moderator. Sometimes how one of those people posts -- I keep thinking he/she is a "hangers-on". Ah well but if that person contributes fully while I can't then the forum admins could delete my account instead...
(04-22-2022, 03:36 PM)admin Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 03:15 PM)Dimster Wrote: Works perfectly. When I'm not logged in I can not see these new subforums, when I am logged in I can see them and access them no problem. 

It's also excellent for posting things like, "Guys, I'm going to be away for the next two weeks while on vacation, so don't think I'm just ignoring you and trying to piss you off."  In this new age of internet time, anyone who doesn't respond to a post/inquiry in two minutes is just being hateful!!  Forums don't work like that, as you said, and I for one am happy about that.  I too am all for the unhurried aspect of having time to go grab a cup of coffee and a sandwich, before having to instantly respond.  People just somehow seem a lot more patient when it comes to talking and socializing over a forum, than over some instant chat like Discord.  Smile

So how do "ordinary" (read "thinking") members see those "I'm away on holidays" posts?   Huh
Of all the places on Earth, and all the planets in the Universe, I'd rather live here (Perth, W.A.) Big Grin
Please visit my Website at: http://oldendayskids.blogspot.com/