Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
numerical prefix for 16 ?
Question 
First some background...

Earlier this year, I threw together a utility / library-ish thing for mapping game controllers and keys, and reading input. 

It let the user map controls for upto 8 players, so I called it "Basic Input Mapper, Octo Edition".

But now I am increasing the number of players to 16.

If octo is 8, what is 16? 

I did some googling on numerical prefixes, and found a few contenders: 
  • sexdeca
  • sedecim
  • hekkaideka
  • hexakaideca

So would the right term for the usage be "Sexdeca Edition"? 

And when I get around to supporting 32 players, what then?? 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ LoL

References:
16 is Hex.  32 is Dual-Hex.  Smile

The number system based on thirty is trigesimal, 32 is probably called duotrigesimal.
@madscijr are you suggesting there should be an &H?

Code: (Select All)
$Console:Only
For i = 1 To 100
    Print i, Hex$(i)
Next

Oh I agree! &H or &O or &B would be nice to know what base we are in.

I proposed it for BIN$ way back at other forum, but it was too disruptive to old code. Plus where to put the minus sign? ;-))

BTW "Hexadecimal" might be the name you are groping for? In the Wiki link.
b = b + ...
(11-09-2022, 04:03 PM)SMcNeill Wrote: 16 is Hex.  32 is Dual-Hex.  Smile

The number system based on thirty is trigesimal, 32 is probably called duotrigesimal.

(11-09-2022, 04:24 PM)bplus Wrote: @madscijr are you suggesting there should be an &H?

Code: (Select All)
$Console:Only
For i = 1 To 100
    Print i, Hex$(i)
Next

Oh I agree! &H or &O or &B would be nice to know what base we are in.

I proposed it for BIN$ way back at other forum, but it was too disruptive to old code. Plus where to put the minus sign?  ;-))

BTW "Hexadecimal" might be the name you are groping for? In the Wiki link.

I like the way you guys think! 

My inner marketing person loves the simplicity of "hexa", mucho gracias. 

(Now if my inner engineer can write code as simple, I'll be doing OK!)
Why does it have to come from Greek or Latin?

Take it from Italian, it sounds enough like "seduction"...

Quote:¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wanted to figure out how to do that emoticon, that's my favorite of the year.
(11-09-2022, 04:57 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote: Why does it have to come from Greek or Latin?

Take it from Italian, it sounds enough like "seduction"...

Seduction! My inner lingerie or perfume marketing person will definitely remember that! 

(11-09-2022, 04:57 PM)mnrvovrfc Wrote:
Quote:¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wanted to figure out how to do that emoticon, that's my favorite of the year.

I'm happy to help! I don't recall where I first saw that one, whenever I see something good I save it to the notepad! 

Playing around with little text drawings is always fun, but whoever came up with that one had talent! 

^^^
Hey, that gives me an idea - you've seen programs that concert pictures or videos to ASCII right? How about a QB64 program that has all the ASCII and UNICODE characters mapped out in raster or vector format, and accepts a raster or vector picture as input, and matches characters to different parts of the picture, and figures out one or more approximations in text? An automatic emoticon creator! 

To anyone looking for a project to dive into, have at it!
(11-09-2022, 05:20 PM)madscijr Wrote: Hey, that gives me an idea - you've seen programs that concert pictures or videos to ASCII right? How about a QB64 program that has all the ASCII and UNICODE characters mapped out in raster or vector format, and accepts a raster or vector picture as input, and matches characters to different parts of the picture, and figures out one or more approximations in text? An automatic emoticon creator! 

To anyone looking for a project to dive into, have at it!
It was sort of already done, but it works only with Linux distro logos, such as the Slackware one with the "Courier" lowercase "s" inside a button.

https://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch

This was by me.

Usually it's used to show off, but it provides some system information. There are variations of it like "neofetch".

There is also a library that exists that does the sort of text-for-graphics thing that you described. In addition, GIMP could export to ASCII text file and to C source code table but I never tested it. Finally there is this ancient "PPM" format that I'm only telling the lurkers here about... user don't try it unless he/she has programs that depend on it. The example provided in the Wikipedia page of the link below, looks like "DATA" map directly into colors for "PSET" but it could become more involved than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netpbm

Finally I'm going to leave everyone here with this other teaser:

http://www.figlet.org/