Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Determing FPS within another FPS .. How?
(11-13-2022, 08:26 PM)Pete Wrote: You're quoting your own post? Seriously Terry, I'm super happy you came up with the solution you were looking for, but I'm also very concerned that in the process you may have gone completely schizophrenic. If so, bad news, because that would make you over qualified to be a Senator Elect from the state of Pennsylvania.

Pete Big Grin

- Can't wait to see the Pacman clone.

Tongue

I can't wait to get it done. I have this ear worm from testing over, and over, and over ... "Waka waka waka waka waka waka" Ahh!
Still working on Pacman. I finally figured out what is truly going on with the game's speed. It does in fact run at 75 frames per second. 60 frames per second is what pacman's speed is initially set to on the first level (80% of 75). All other objects that move are also based off a percentage of 75, not 60 as I initially envisioned. The percentages work out perfectly with 75 just like they did with 60, because both numbers can be divided by 3, 5, and 15 evenly. When running my Pacman side by side with MAME running the ROMs from the arcade game I could not figure out why the arcade version was so much faster. I followed the speed percentages in the Pacman Dossier perfectly. Now I know. I believe this is where the 37.5 value comes from that MasterGy decoded from the MS. Pacman assembler source. I'll need to use that value, a 37.5 bit value if you will (75/2), to properly determine FPS speeds within a 75 FPS master. With this new knowledge I may be able to get my version to replicate original patterns perfectly. I now understand why the patters in my version were "close" but not spot on.

The game is coming along nicely. Only two issues I still need to resolve: the FPS adjustments I mentioned previously and getting the darned eyes to enter back into the ghost house properly. Sometimes they take a nice leisurely path around the maze before deciding they want to go home. Driving me nuts trying to figure out why, LOL. Oh, and I need to finish the intermission movies too.

It's getting there @Pete Big Grin